• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lighting questions

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought 6 KC lights and sont want to drop the big bcks for the wiring kits.
'
Anybody know how to wire these up to one switch. I was thinking just get a large fuse and wire it inline and then take direct leads fromthe positive to the battery and ground to the battery. Do I wire the lights in parallel or series? I have done hundreds of stereos with neon lights subs and the entire works but wasn't sure if it was the same way with these lights. By the way I am mounting them on top if it makes a difference.(Dont know why it would)

I would not wire all 6 lights on one switch (not to say it can not be done, just not recommended, you should not need all 6 on at any one time). If you can wire stereos then you should be able to wire lights. You need to run the appropriate guage wire (for the length) with the appropriate relays so that you are not running any more power through the wires than you have to.

There are lots of ways of doing it, so I will not provide detailed instructions. But they are avialable on the back of any relay box or light kit box.

HTH,
Michael

you will be hard pressed to find a switch that can handle that much amperage
you need to wire through a 50amp relay and wire it in parallel
you can have your relay get trigger via "key on" and draw from the battery.
I have a lot of lighting on my jeep. I have two sets of 3-way rocker type switches. all wired on 4 relays
I can light half front, full front, side, and two sets of reverse
but even wiring one pair of 100watt or better lights straight to a switch. you will notice that switch gets very hot.
Let the relays take the grunt

Last edited:
Wiring 6 lights off one switch is the same as wiring 1 light off a switch, it's just going to take a bigger feed wire, and a heavy duty relay.
Surly you're not going to wire the lights in series with the switch.
Figgure how much amperage the ckt will require.
Obtain the correct gauge wire that will support the current.
Use the approperiate fuse for the feed.
Most likely a nice heavy duty inline from a high-end stereo shop.
A good relay is a must. I used a Dick Cepek waterproof relay for my 4 IPF's.
You can run the feed wire from the battery (through the inline fuse) to the contact.
Run the wire from the output side of the contact to the lights, and just parallel them in.
I would ground the lights seperatly, that way if one goes bad, you'll be able to spot it quickly, and you wont have to run a large ground wire.
Feed the switch, ( preferably a lighted one) from a fused aux ckt, to the relay coil.
I will add that feeding the 6 lights with 1 wire will require a very heavy wire.
Most likely at least a 10 gauge, maybe even 8. I for one would not run all lights off 1 wire, but rather split the load, and control from more than 1 switch, but that is me.
Make sure the relay contacts are rated to at least the current you will be using.

Wiring 6 lights off one switch is the same as wiring 1 light off a switch

6 Lights will draw much more current than 1 light. If it didnt why would you need to run heavier gauge for more lights

You CAN use a single switch, they are made by Square D and Federal, cost is around $200, they also have to be 'cocked' each time you use them and when you fire them they sound like a Hilte gun going off.
Much easier to run 3 fused relays and one switch to trigger them, keep the relays as close to the battery area as possible, that way if there is a short you will have less chance of damaging something else.

RichP, you mean keep the relays or the fuses closest to the battery?
$200 for a big amp switch. Sounds about right.

I ALWAYS use fused relays, usually from Hella. I like the convienence of having the bayonet fuses built in, makes for a neater job.
I also always keep the fuse and relay close to the power source, if you get a short further up the line it will pop the fuse quicker and not have several feet of wire insulation to melt thereby shorting somewhere else. If you have a long power run and the fuse is closer to the load than the source and you get a short in between the fuse will never pop. Keep it near the source and you have less of a chance of doing damage.
I also use grommets when running wires thru steel or metal of any kind, keeps nics and stuff to a minumum. I also use shrink tubing/heat gun for any solder joints.
For figuring out fuses and such use ohms law, watts [P] , current and volts [E] use P=I x E or I=P/E, in most motor vehicles just use 13v or 14v for E.

OWL when I said wiring 6 lights from a switch is like 1 light, that's what I ment.
No one in their right mind feeds aux lights directly through a switch, but rather uses the switch to control the relay, therefore the switch used would be wired the same reguardless how many lights are powered.
Surly you know that, Right?
Please read my entire post, and fathom it before you correct it.

Larry Shank said:
OWL when I said wiring 6 lights from a switch is like 1 light, that's what I ment.
No one in their right mind feeds aux lights directly through a switch, but rather uses the switch to control the relay, therefore the switch used would be wired the same reguardless how many lights are powered.
Surly you know that, Right?
Please read my entire post, and fathom it before you correct it.

Now Larry --

The original post asked about wiring lights directly through a switch. The statement "Wiring 6 lights off one switch is the same as wiring 1 light off a switch" in that context does not clearly indicate that you contemplate a relay where the petitioner did not. Especially since you also said something about a heavier feed wire. I assume by that you meant a heavier wire feeding power into the relay, but in the context of the thread it sounds like you're calling for a heavier wire to the switch, which makes no sense if the switch is only controlling a relay.

Dang, it's a good thing we all speak English. It avoids so many misunderstandings, ya know?

:jester:

You are right Eagle, I stand corrected.
Not to labor on the point, but I just assumed (yes make an ass out of you and me), that it was understood a relay would be used.
I should have used a bit better terminoligy, such as control wiring (switch side), and power feed, (load/(lighting), side.
OWL, you have my apoligy for coming back with a snooty post.
Getting back to the original post.
Nik, do not use a switch in series with the lights.
Use an approperiate relay. The contacts will be used to power the lights.
A nice lighted switch to control the coil of the relay.
This is the best way for aux lighting.
Less costly than a big expensive inline switch, more professional, and really a safer way to run a lighting circuit.

Quote: "do i wire the lights in parallel or series"...they wire in parallel...the relay idea is by far the best way...I used breakers instead of fuses...plug in breakers and their sockets can be gotten at your favorite auto parts store...

Back