• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Engine Replacement - Can't Reach Bolt

melwade

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of replacing my 4.0 engine in my 1990 Cherokee with an automatic transmission. The factory service manual say to remove the upper bolts connecting the engine to the converter housing. Sound simple? Not quite! I have found one of the bolts by feel but can't get a wrench to it. The other two I'm sure are there but haven't found them yet.

What is the best way to get this apart? I'm not really interested in removing the transmission/transfer case as well...

E-12 reverse torx socket long extensions swivel or take the shifter out and reach in through that hole

In the past I have lowered the back of the transmission and gone in with some extensions. I always replace those dam torx with normal bolts. watch you dont bust off your crank position sensor, it's so easy to do when you get frustrated

The top two are inverted torx as previously stated..... use a long extension like 24" and a swivel.... The drivers side one is not too bad.... the passenger side one gotten by lowering the rear of the trans or in the case of pulling the engine, you are going to have to take the motor mounts out so just hook up to your cherry picker or engine hoist, remove the mount portion that goes to the frame and then lower the engine down to get the right side one.... There should be two more that face rearward that hold the flywheel shield and are accessed from the engine compartment..... The last two are the lower ones on the block ears.... they are accessed from underneath.... you will have to remove the shift cable bracket to get the left one...

Man the top torx bolts suck!!!! Why and for what reason for these bolts ?? I've got them out but you will fight them..

Good Luck
Nick

I just lowered the engine after it was supported by the hoist and I had pulled the mounts. Lower it 2-in and I could reach them just fine with a ratcheting open ended wrench. BTW the 12pt ratcheting end fit over perfectly.

I just lowered the engine after it was supported by the hoist and I had pulled the mounts. Lower it 2-in and I could reach them just fine with a ratcheting open ended wrench. BTW the 12pt ratcheting end fit over perfectly.

I lower the engine as well. You will need to remove the motor mounts and brackets from the block. Lower the engine down as far as it will go and then you can get to the bolts from the top. I use a 3/8" breaker bar and the proper socket to pop them loose. After you get them loose you can hoist up the engine, support the tranny and go to work on the bottom bolts. Replace those top bolts with some grade 8 flanged hex head bolts of the proper length and thread pitch. I buy mine at the local hardware store.

Back