• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper bolts

aparke4

NAXJA Forum User
what size are they and where can i get em? i have looked everywhere and can not find em cuz they are metric i guess! thanks. 1999 cherokee if that makes a difference - looking for stock bolts for 8 holes for bumper

I don't know what size they are but my local ma n pa hardware store had them in stock.

huh interesting my local ace and home depot did not have 3/8 did not fit and i couldnt fit the only one i have in their testing course threaded holes...dang i will keep trying becasue 3/8 threaded but was loose...there is a 9 on the top of my bolt is it a metric 9?? 9mm??

Check the screw heads - if they have "hash marks" on top, they're SAE/Inch. If they've got numbers (like 8.8, 9.8, 10.9, &c.) they're ISO/Metric.

If they're ISO, and just about fell through the 3/8" threaded holes, then they're probably M8-1.25. The "9" you saw (should be 9.8 or 9.9) is the "ISO Property Class" - which indicates the strength of the screw (the numbers serve the same purpose as the hash marks on the SAE/inch screws - for SAE, add two to the number of marks you count, and that's the SAE strength/grade. Typical grades are SAE5 and SAE8.)

5-90

Just purchased a set for my '99.... YES, 10mm x 1.5 thread pitch, and 30mm is plently long... I found the 10.9 grade....:)

Use the proper strength/hardness bolts for safety equipment, engines, suspension or load bearing structure on vehicles.

At least Grade 8 for standard/english bolts and Grade 10.9 for Metric.

Grade 8 = Grade 10.9 between standard and metric.

Rear bumper, yea, use 10.9, I hate to get hit in the rear and see the bumper go flying as the rear end gets crushed in much worse than if the bumper had held on.

I personally don't use anything less than 8/10.9 on cars unless its for things like plastic trim or interior trim.

Grade 3 (they came with the item, I would never buy them) I've broken them in half with barely any force on the wrench when assembling things like basketball hoops or grills, etc.

I have a set of spare bumper mounts from a '96. I replaced them with a set I made from 1/4 inch plate. They support my newly constructed rear bumper. You can see it at www://home.windstream.net/rsolomon/jeep .

Back