• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat Towing a 1990 XJ

mcdermott6555

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to the forum and wish to thank all who answered my last post. I am sure all the info will be helpful. I have a new question. What procedure should you use to flat tow a 1990 Cherokee with all 4 wheels on the ground? I have read a lot of conflicting reports concerning this. I have a new towmaster tow bar for the cherokee. I will be towing it with my 1990 Mercury Colony Park wagon. Thanks everyone!!

If you have the auto tranny, put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in park. Unlock the steering wheel and release the parking brake. The owners manual will agree as does my experience of towing my '89 for about 5K miles in the last year.

If you have the 249 transfer case, then you leave the tranny in park. If you have the 231, then you can put the tranny in neutral. This is right out of the owner's manual.

In both cases, the transfer case goes in neutral.

Yes, you can shift the transfer case into neutral if the rig doesn't run. To make sure it is in neutral, put your tranny in park. If the rig can move with the vehicle in park, then the transfer case is in neutral. Just make sure the transfer case is disengaged fully-there shouldn't be any grinding noises when the vehicle rolls in park.

You have the 231 transfer case if you have 2wd, part time 4wd, neutral and part time 4wd low.

If you have a 242 (I think I called it a 249 above- but the 249 is on Grand Cherokees...) you will have 2wd, part time 4wd, full time 4wd, neutral and part time 4wd low.

If you have the 249 transfer case, then you leave the tranny in park. If you have the 231, then you can put the tranny in neutral. This is right out of the owner's manual.

In both cases, the transfer case goes in neutral.

the 249 is in the grand cherokee you're gonna have either a 231 or a 242

Back