• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My latest problem :S

Hurley

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]I'll give you the syptoms and any suggestions on whats the problem would be greatly appreciated.

- transmission when in drive has no go, or if it does go, truck kind of rumbles and struggles to get moving.

- reverse works fine ( drove down the street and had to reverse back to my driveway)

- starts up like a dream

possible causes....

- drove up the backside of sumas mt recently and it was EXTREMELY Bumpy ride... so bumpy it popped my power steering cap off...

kinda wondering if something didnt just come loose or ? cause the tranny was working excellent before this.

- too much tranny fluid? i checked and im a little over, not alot though.

- wrong kind of fluid... i may have put dexron 111 in as opposed to dexron 11...

- maybe the drive up the mt was too much stress?

once again any suggestions would be great

thanks!
[/FONT]

forgive my ignorance... but what is tps?

i have an auto, i've put it in all gears D, 3, 2-1, 4L, 4H and nothing... the tach revs but there is no go.

reverse still works fine.

i tried earlier and it did the same, but only rumbled ... kind of shook a bit went forwarda bit... but quit soon after.

throttle position sensor...if you put it in 1st and still nothing thats not it. I would try changing the tranny fluid and filter and see if that helps.

when my power steering cap popped off, it got fluid all over the the front driver side corner of the engine bay...

i started it and checked out underneath and there appears to be a distinct rattling/vibrating from the middle of the truck.

Could be some sort of iternal problem. I have limited knowledge of tranny repair. If you find metal shavings in your pan then it is probably a bad sign.

Jess said:
throttle position sensor...if you put it in 1st and still nothing thats not it. I would try changing the tranny fluid and filter and see if that helps.
Huh? I think you're confusing this with putting the stick in 1st to try to eliminate a problem with the TCU (transmission computer). If it's acting like its trying to start in 4th gear, then it may be as simple as a blown fuse to the tranny computer. The TCU is under the passenger dash right under the glove box with a wiring harness and largish connector. The fuse is located on the harness itself. In fact, the first test for tranny problems in the FSM is to pull the fuse and make sure the tranny shifts manually with the stick.

If the TCU isn't getting power your should get 1st gear in (1-2), 3rd gear in (3), and 4th in (D). Post back how this turns out.

well if you unplug the tcu and put it in 1st you get first gear only. if you go to third it will only go to third not first or second. still check that fuse. and fluid. i would drop the tranny pan and check the filter screen.

Back