• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99' Heater core info

XJRubicon

NAXJA Forum User
My book does not go to 99'

We have to replace the heater core as its leaking and its soon to be winter.

I hear this is not a fun job in this year model and would love any info you can offer to replacing it. Something about the airbag needs to be removed.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
XJR

Do a search, there are a couple of postings with pictures. Figure 8-12 hours as the dash has to come out.
Step one: remove the front seats
Step two: disconnect the battery and drop the steering column.
Then the fun begins, put all the parts in baggies and label them, take pictures.

You can save yourself some time and aggrivation if you don't remove the dash completely. you don't have to take out the front seats either. If you have unlimited time, these things do probably make it easier but its not necessary.

Disconnect battery, drop steering column, remove bolts along windsheild and down the sides of dash by the doors. remove the center console and the support braces under the dash behind it. You'll probably want to pull the HVAC control until ouut of the dash and unplug any cables going into the back of it. You'll want to check for one or two bolts hidden above the steering column mount and possibly behind the pass side airbag but I can't remember. Once you have all the dash bolts removed, pull the pass side of dash away from the firewall. Be sure to pay attention to wires behind dash and unplug ones that get too tight. there should be only 2 or 3 plugs you need to undo though. Hold the pass side of dash away from the firewall with a ratchet strap or a bungee or something.

Now you have to undo the bolt that go through the firewall and hold the hvac box inside the jeep. around 6 or 8 I think. you also have to disconnect the heater hoses and a/c lines (make sure a/c system is evacuated first).

Back inside now and you should be able to pull the hvac box away from the firewall and out the passenger side door past the dash.

The main thing is when you're pulling the dash away from the firewall, go low and make sure not to pull too hard on the wiring. you should still be able to move it 3-4" without encountering resistance so if you can't budge the thing, you've missed some bolts. Same goes for the HVAC box and also be careful of the wacuum line that goes through the firewall with the heater hoses during both removal and installation. you don't want to break it.

i think its worth mentioning that the evaporator should b done at the same timehttp://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=963507&highlight=evaporator+replacement+pics

Last edited:
You can save yourself some time and aggrivation if you don't remove the dash completely. you don't have to take out the front seats either. If you have unlimited time, these things do probably make it easier but its not necessary.

Disconnect battery, drop steering column, remove bolts along windsheild and down the sides of dash by the doors. remove the center console and the support braces under the dash behind it. You'll probably want to pull the HVAC control until ouut of the dash and unplug any cables going into the back of it. You'll want to check for one or two bolts hidden above the steering column mount and possibly behind the pass side airbag but I can't remember. Once you have all the dash bolts removed, pull the pass side of dash away from the firewall. Be sure to pay attention to wires behind dash and unplug ones that get too tight. there should be only 2 or 3 plugs you need to undo though. Hold the pass side of dash away from the firewall with a ratchet strap or a bungee or something.

Now you have to undo the bolt that go through the firewall and hold the hvac box inside the jeep. around 6 or 8 I think. you also have to disconnect the heater hoses and a/c lines (make sure a/c system is evacuated first).

Back inside now and you should be able to pull the hvac box away from the firewall and out the passenger side door past the dash.

The main thing is when you're pulling the dash away from the firewall, go low and make sure not to pull too hard on the wiring. you should still be able to move it 3-4" without encountering resistance so if you can't budge the thing, you've missed some bolts. Same goes for the HVAC box and also be careful of the wacuum line that goes through the firewall with the heater hoses during both removal and installation. you don't want to break it.

Hmmm, you going to be out this way anytime soon ? :D :D :D

Hmmm, you going to be out this way anytime soon ? :D :D :D

Haha, not likely. Its really not that bad of a job. The main thing I would suggest is to give yourself plenty of time to do it. These type of jobs seem to have a tendancy to go from bad to worse if you try to rush it and theres quite a few things you can break back there. With a good service manual, especially one with good pics, will make it alot easier as well.

Back