• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC drop - removing studs - double nut??

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
Did a TC drop on my '91 last week and it literally took 5 minutes. Evidently the rust holding the nut onto the stud was stronger than the rust holding the stud in place!! :laugh:

Now, my '97 is a different story - basically rust free minus muffler. So, the nut came right off the stud. I bought two nuts and put them on the stud and tried to loosen just the top nut, but with enough force, both nuts will turn. Then, just the top nut started to turn, but it was b/c it was eating away at the stud's threads!!! Wasn't this method suppose to work or did i miss something?? (Yes, I soaked w/ PB blast for a couple of hrs beforehand). I wish I had a welder so I could just tack weld a nut on, but that's not an option...

Did a TC drop on my '91 last week and it literally took 5 minutes. Evidently the rust holding the nut onto the stud was stronger than the rust holding the stud in place!! :laugh:

Now, my '97 is a different story - basically rust free minus muffler. So, the nut came right off the stud. I bought two nuts and put them on the stud and tried to loosen just the top nut, but with enough force, both nuts will turn. Then, just the top nut started to turn, but it was b/c it was eating away at the stud's threads!!! Wasn't this method suppose to work or did i miss something?? (Yes, I soaked w/ PB blast for a couple of hrs beforehand). I wish I had a welder so I could just tack weld a nut on, but that's not an option...

I was just about to suggest tacking the nut on but I guess not.....I had the same problem and had a friend tack it on for me

If you've already messed up the threads, get out the vice grips and a breaker bar and once you can get a good grip with the vice grips it should eventually come out.

Back