• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow hitch question

will a draw-tite tow hitch from a 92 cherokee fit on my 99? It looks like it would work, and I checked and my XJ has the same mounting bolt pattern, so I'm guessing it would, but I thought I'd ask here before I get it...

Yes, just make sure you get the nut strips and hardware from the '92. Is it a Class II or Class III?

Before you spend $100+ on a hitch consider one of these, kills two birds with one stone.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2XJRST2&Category_Code=XJB
I have the tomken rear on mine which re-uses the stock end caps on my 98. Works great and no hitch hanging down.

That is a nice bumper. With good ground clearance. But a boneyard hitch shouldn't cost much over 30 + fresh grade 8 bolts. Mine didn't. Plus you can be on the look out for skids, a Dana 44 or 8.25 if wanted/needed etc. Some boneyard will do a package deal if it all come off one donor. Interchangeability is good with the XJ and big saving can be had this way.

will a draw-tite tow hitch from a 92 cherokee fit on my 99? It looks like it would work, and I checked and my XJ has the same mounting bolt pattern, so I'm guessing it would, but I thought I'd ask here before I get it...

You may have problems mounting it because of your gas tank skid plate. The hitch I have on my Heep I got from a guy that couldnt bolt it up do to it hitting the steel tank skid on his 99 but it bolted right up to my 90.

I had to trash my nut strips.. two bolts broke off inside of them.. I ended up fishing grade 8 bolts through with a piece of wire. What I like about this, is it makes the nut side, that has the threads exposed, on the outside of the "frame." When the nut side is inside the "frame" it can become corroded and rusted.. without you knowing it... which is what happend to mine..

Before you spend $100+ on a hitch consider one of these, kills two birds with one stone.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2XJRST2&Category_Code=XJB
I have the tomken rear on mine which re-uses the stock end caps on my 98. Works great and no hitch hanging down.

That is a very nice bumper. However, I can't justify spending that amount of money when I may wheel my rig once or twice a year, if that. Plus, I'm trying to save some money by getting a tow hitch used from the pull-a-part.

If money wasn't an issue, I would have a brand new class III hitch on my Jeep already.

The hitch from a '92 should fit fine. I'm not familiar with Drawtite brand but both Valley and Putnam list their hitches to fit Cherokee's built from '84-'01. The nut strips from the '92 would be nice to have but you could use new hardware too.

Can you actually tow with those bumpers?

You mean after market bumpers with built in receivers?
Many will not be rated, recommend or citified for towing. The maker covering his butt incase of lawsuits (IMO). I see them used for towing all the time.
If it's ((really)) not up to towing it's not a good recovery/winch point anyway (IMO).

you could if you tied it into the frame and had stronger mounts. well i am assuming anyways. I went with a hitch because i know at some time there will be a trailer or Boat behind my Jeep :D

Yea, but you need to tie it into the frame rails, my tomken came with metal straps underneath that tie in to the strips in the rails.

Back