• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I found a D44 in a XJ...

chedisme

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I found a D44 in a XJ at my local Pick and Pull. its on a 89 xj so it should be a direct swap to my 98 XJ. my question is how much do you think its worth, as in how much is too much. my local place is kind of over priced. today I went to get the stock front cross member skid and a mirror, the charged me 50$ for the skid and wanted to charge me 75$ for the mirror. so im thinking the whole axel will run me quite a bit.

I dont weld and dont have any friends who weld, so it having all the factory mounting points is more important to me then it would be to some one who could fab up mounts. thanks.

D44.jpg

Seen them sell for $150-$300 at the local P&P's, don't they have a set price on parts? Most around here do.

A rear diff of any flavor runs "X", so you get a bonus if it's a D44 instead of a D35...........

Shouldn't all truck 4x4 axles have a set price at Pick N Pull?

At my local P&P in Kelowna, BC, I think all 4x4 axle's are 80 bucks. You could get a Dana 60, or a 44, or an 8.8", they're all $80 each.

yea at mine there is nothing posted, in my experience they just look at it, pick it up to see how heavy it is(in the case of the skid) and throw a number at you. I got some tow hooks and an employee charged me less and told me to put the hooks in my car quick before the owner saw what I bought because the would want more for them. but I cant just wait around for the owner to not be around.

Seen them sell for $150-$300 at the local P&P's, don't they have a set price on parts? Most around here do.

A rear diff of any flavor runs "X", so you get a bonus if it's a D44 instead of a D35...........

I got my d44 from a local junkyard for $99...so if its not to much it would be worth it. Alot stronger than stock axles, semi-float instead of c-clip and if it was in a xj it would be a direct bolt in just make sure the gears match your front. Mine was out of a mj so i had to weld the perches so it was SOA.

I have the AX15, I think the axel is in an auto. so if Im correct I have 3.07 gears and the auto has 3.55. Is that too much of a difference? If I grab this axle I dont plan on putting it in till spring so that gives me time to save up for gears i guess.

Don't most Pick-N-Pull's and Pick-A-Parts have their vehicles up on some type of stand? Sounds like your dealing with a standard salvage/junk yard.

All you can do is ask what he wants before you pull it. I found a local yard with a lot of late model Cherokees. I asked how much for an 8.25 29 spline. $800. "Okay, thanks for the info."

I have the AX15, I think the axel is in an auto. so if Im correct I have 3.07 gears and the auto has 3.55. Is that too much of a difference? If I grab this axle I dont plan on putting it in till spring so that gives me time to save up for gears i guess.

you cant run different ratios. if its 250 or under i'd say buy it.

I got one from a P&P for 110$ two weeks ago. Remember you will take it out and it will probably need brakes, they're lookin for scrap price, so... It wouldn't be there if they had another buyer.

A full service wrecking yard that knows jeep stuff is going to want $450 for an XJ D44, unless it's a posi, then expect at least another $100. The good news is they might not know what it's worth. D35s are $75 to $150. Remember, you need the brake drums & maybe the driveshaft. If you are lifted 4" a d35 driveshaft works. If you have an 8 1/4 axle, your driveshaft will work. If they want $50 for a skid & $75 for a mirror, they'll bend you over on that 44 if they know it's special. If they aren't Jeep guys , they might not know. If not, don't tell them.

You gotta wheel and deal a little. Just ask them "how much are axles", don't tip your hand by giving them any idea that it's special for some reason.

I found one on ebay off an 87 xj for 350$. its open diff with 3.54 gears. but its two hrs away and pick up only. so ill see how much the yard wants and if its not too much more then the ebay one ill buy it. if there gunna bend me over then id rather drive alittle and get something that A) is allready off the rig and B) I can be more sure that its in relativly good shape.

You gotta wheel and deal a little. Just ask them "how much are axles", don't tip your hand by giving them any idea that it's special for some reason.

x2 as soon as they know its a wanted/needed/upgrade part the price can go way up! just tell them the application it fits, dont phone em say you're looking for a d44 to upgrade ur d35.

ive paid $180, $118, and $112 for xj 44's, anyone quoting over 300$ for a 20 year old junkyard axle needs a stern 'are you fucking kidding?' and a scene.

I found one on ebay off an 87 xj for 350$. its open diff with 3.54 gears. but its two hrs away and pick up only. so ill see how much the yard wants and if its not too much more then the ebay one ill buy it. if there gunna bend me over then id rather drive alittle and get something that A) is allready off the rig and B) I can be more sure that its in relativly good shape.

$300 plus??? with stock gears...go full widths and you can get it set up for that price.

x3 on just calling and asking how much rear axles are in general. just dont tell them you really want a D44 from an XJ because they are an upgrade and rare. and if you get the back and its a different ratio, just find a slightly newer one with an auto as well and take the front axle. maybe get a package deal. then you wont have to regear.

Are you sure yours is a D35?

By 98, I think they were mostly 29spline 8.25's. In that case a 44 is only a marginal upgrade, certainly not worth regearing...

Robert

Yea Im sure I have a D35, I wish I was wrong.

x3 on just calling and asking how much rear axles are in general. just dont tell them you really want a D44 from an XJ because they are an upgrade and rare. and if you get the back and its a different ratio, just find a slightly newer one with an auto as well and take the front axle. maybe get a package deal. then you wont have to regear.

Thats actually a good idea for me since i think I bent my D30 slightly when I jumped it once. I think it smiles a little. you cant see the bend but the toe is wrong even after an alignment. So maby a hp D30 is in line too.

Back