• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problem of the Week!

cc chasse

NAXJA Forum User
All right here my latest problem! Today my wife got out of work and there was no power not even the lights came on! I want and jump started the 2000 XJ and it sparked when I tried to hook up the cables and suddenly came back to life without the cables. I started it and let her take my Truck. When driving the XJ home it seemed ok at first until the check gauges light came on and the volt meter was pined at 19+ volts. I don't even know were to start the search. Last week it didn't want to start and it was the CPS. The battery is 2 months old and seems fine. any suggestions on were to start?:dunno:

Run it up to Auto Zone and have them do a load test on the battery and alternator. Could have a bad cell in the battery or voltage regualtor is shot.
good luck.

first check connections on the battery. and check the positive wire to where that goes. your 2000 is different from my 90. but if im correct it goes to the pcm.

second the voltage regulator may be shot. i dont know. but if you loose connections on the oil pressure it spikes all the way over. but i dont know if that applys to yours.

i figure that this is a start.

XJING said:
Run it up to Auto Zone and have them do a load test on the battery and alternator. Could have a bad cell in the battery or voltage regualtor is shot.
good luck.

Hopefully AutoZone is more reliable than Checker auto. They cost me 2 days of chasing my tail because they told me a defective alternator was fine. I had pulled it from the vehicle and took it there for a bench test.

After 2 days I pulled it out again and took it to a real alternator shop. They condemned it, I bought a new one, problem solved.

Take what they tell you with a grain of salt.

Based on my recent intermittent/no-power problem....I recommend checking and cleaning the ground connections, expecially the engine-to-firewall strap. Solved it for me....thanks to some NAXJA-forum advice!

azdesertrhino said:
Hopefully AutoZone is more reliable than Checker auto. They cost me 2 days of chasing my tail because they told me a defective alternator was fine. I had pulled it from the vehicle and took it there for a bench test.

After 2 days I pulled it out again and took it to a real alternator shop. They condemned it, I bought a new one, problem solved.

Take what they tell you with a grain of salt.
I remember, I was the one that told you that you needed a new alternator! After you gave the readings from you multi-meter it couldn't have been anything else!

cc chasse said:
but if you loose connections on the oil pressure it spikes?
Oil Pressure looks fine why would this make the volts spike?

what i was trying to say that the sensor wire to the voltage guage may have come loose. and that makes it spike. but i dont know if it does that on the voltage one.

I Removed and cleaned all ends of the battery cables and replaced them. I seems to have solved the problem. Although I'm going on a trip later and I'll take my other truck it's a 6.0L but what the hell gas prices are comming down.
Thanks for the help! I'll let you know if I happens again.

Back