• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 XJ 5 speed

UnrealAntidote

NAXJA Forum User
I currently own and am proud of my 1986 XJ with 2.5L 5speed, but, one thing seems to be troubling me. The Power Sucks! I drove it to Mobile Alabama from Richmond, IN at a whopping 60mph. This jeep runs great, I mean the motor is tight as it can get. The transmission and Clutch are great. I really would like to get to 70mph comfortably. I have been researching cold air intakes and cat-back exhaust systems to try to polish this "turd". I just am not sure if these two add-ons will make enough of a difference for the money. These stock 2.5's as most of you know are rated at 105hp, but, for some reason I dont think its putting out anywhere near that or it would pull this XJ a bit faster. This thing is just a dog from 40mph to 60mph.

So question is: Will a cat-back exhaust and a cold air intake give me my wanted 10 extra mph or will I be wasting my money? I dont want to do a engine swap or any internal work because it runs so well and my gas mileage is so good.

Before this trip I only drove this XJ around town and on rare wheeling trips after I sold my trail XJ(1990 4.0 auto XJ 2 door).

Anyhow, I really am not asking to make a monster out of my 2.5, just a few more HP and a little bit more top end would be great.

This is not the greatest picture, I let it sit for about 3 months before my trip to Alabama(picture was taken Thursday night, I had to air up the tires and check the fluids and this thing purred all the way to alabama without a hiccup one).
011-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I didnt think those two would give me quite 10mph:wierd: Ohh well, I guess I will just change the air filter with a K&N(I do that to all my vehicles anyway) and call it a day. I still like this 25+mpg this little 2.5 is giving me on the highway so until I can afford to feed a 4.0(although gas prices are going down and I may buy a 4.0 XJ soon) I am stuck at 60mph driving across country from job site to job site(I am a Union Ironworker and make my best money on the road).

Thanks for you input guys.:wave1:

Back