• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distance Sensor Location?

Mr.Shrek

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a harness that is coming from the main harness on the fire wall that has 2 wires in a 4 pin plug. (91 xj w/ inline six) From what I have found I think it is for the Distance Sensor. Call me dumb but does anyone know where to look for this?

[FONT=&quot]
So I have a harness that is coming from the main harness on the fire wall that has 2 wires in a 4 pin plug. (91 xj w/ inline six) From what I have found I think it is for the Distance Sensor. Call me dumb but does anyone know where to look for this?

[/FONT]Are you referring to the speed sensor?
It's located at the rear of the transfer case.

Thats what the haynes manual calls it. on the firewall in between the blower motor and the harness disconnects for the trans. there are a couple of harnesses one is a four pin harness with only two wires. One is black with a light blue trace and the other is white with an orange trace. the harness is about 3 ft long and goes to a 2 pin connector. Anyone have any better ideas what this goes to?

That must be for the continuum transfunctioner. I had to take mine off, it was making hella loud noises. Gained 13 MPG too.

I wonder if it could be for the difference between the 231 and 242 transfer cases, full time vs part time. To control the light on the dash.

There are two different speed sensors--one for tranny output that goes to TCU and another for vehicle speed that goes to gauges--so I assume that they are referring to the latter as "distance sensor" to be less confusing. If that's the case it is the speedo unit that is at the back of the transfer case (or the tranny adapter if you have 2WD).

If you have a pre-91 you have speedo cable instead of wires and are fooked

Well for some more back story (I should have given first) I have swapped the motor, trans, transfer, axles out of a 4WD 91 into my former 2wd 91. Would the speedo harness not be included into those two transmission harnesses on the 2wd version as it is on the 4wd?

The speed sensor that feeds the TCU on my 90 is back where the cable goes to the tranny. There is another one on the bellhousing that is called a speed sensor or CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). The FSM list it as both.

It could be the sensor that slows the vehicle down when you get too close to another vehicle. The collision avoidance mechanism. I took it off mine too, because it prevents tailgating the car ahead.

I thought the fiberglass grille shell was the reason I couldn't tailgate, it doesn't have magnetic mass.

Of course, after a friendly local ungulate attempted to drag race around me, it didn't have any mass at all.

Later I found that switch on the dash that controls the transmission shifting was the cause. When I push it and it lights up, I can tailgate really good.

I've got a '90, can you retrofit that switch? I think it requires an AW4 transmission swap, too, which gets you a nice cable that is supposed to spin the speedo for you - if you bang on the dash first thing in the morning.

Anyway, most of us just drive by feel. If there's no red and blue lights, you're blocking traffic.

In reality the speedo harness may not have been included - that's a possible point of the connector - the assembly line guy could install the correct one for the lack of transfer case. Perhaps somebody with a '91 can give us more specific info.

Of course, you may get your answer from looking at a salvage '91 faster than us goofballs here. Spring brings out the sillies for some of us.

Back