• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster

Huffin

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a new indiglo face for my clauster. I have the cluster out, the clear cover off and the black housing off. So what im looking at is the gauges attached to the black face. I need to know how to get the old face off. Do I need to pull the needles and if I do, do they just pop off or what. I dont want to beak them. Do I just put the new face over the old one or what. Im so lost, I need some help please. I got it off ebay and the guy will not call me.

:cheers:I believe they just pull off . There was a recent thread from a guy who did a similar conversion & he got all the needles on wrong when he put it back together so his gauges don't read right, so be careful when you reassemble your cluster. Learn from other peoples screwups instead doing it to yourself.

A little more info would be helpful, like what model year.

On the early gauges at least, the needles pull straight out of the instrument. You'll have to effectively rezero every gauge if you go this route.

Be careful when you pull the needles. I broke one of mine when I did it. I was told by the guy I bought the set from that you don't have to pull the needles.I do't know if this is true cuz I still haven't gotten this done.

I just did the cluster swap on the xj I bought my dad yesterday. It was the first time I've popped and swapped out the odometer wheels(see the odometer calibration thread from a few weeks ago). I attempted to pull the speedo needle off, but I woulda broke something if I tried harder, so I just removed the 2 screws holding the face on and that was enough clearance to get the odo out.

When I pulled mine, the whole shaft that the needle attaches to came out too and I ended up damaging the speedo when I put it back in. Not the needle, the actually windings. I'm not sure the correct way to do that either but I would be careful when you go to put them back in. But mine's a 2000. Not sure if that matters or not though :dunno:

Back