• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I don't get it...tires..pellets...big issues

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so after many years of reading about the air soft pellets in the tires, I decided to give it a shot to get the massive amount of weights off my rims.

I have 33" TrXus Mud Terrains and do a lot of driving on roads, highways, etc.

So I went to the local good tire dealership, which knew what I wanted to do and they took off the tires, rotated them front to back and vice versa, per Interco, put the 8.5oz of white airsoft pellets in each tire and then aired them backup with nitrogen to 35psi (max is 40psi)

Well, at 35-40 the steering wheel is shaking, then about 50-55 it slows down some, but anything above 55 I got scared on the highway and thought the vehicle was going to come apart.

I can't keep driving like this obviously, so what gives?

Thanks,

Chris

Evidently balancing media inside the tire won't help with lateral imbalance issues; I had the same problem and went back to wheel weights.

the pellets work, you could just have too much or not enough weight. its easy to break it down with a highlift and adjust as needed, if you have a source of air.

Okay, well since I don't feel like paying the guys to keep putting nitrogen in my tires, I guess I will have to fill them with air until I find the correct weight.

So since I started out with 8.5 oz in each 33" tire, what should I try to do go up or down? And should I add .5 oz at at time or more like 1 oz at a time?

And aside from that, how do I go about doing that with a high lift?

And I guess at what point in time do I need to start thinking that other things could be wrong like trackbar, alignment, etc?

Thanks,

Chris

set the bottom of the highlift on your tire, close to the wheel but not on it, put the lip under your bumper and jack away and it will break the bead lose. pull the valve core first.

Okay gotcha, but what about my other questions?

"So since I started out with 8.5 oz in each 33" tire, what should I try to do go up or down? And should I add .5 oz at at time or more like 1 oz at a time?

And I guess at what point in time do I need to start thinking that other things could be wrong like trackbar, alignment, etc?"

if it was fine before, i bet much hasnt changed since then. if you cant get the pellets to work, i would have them rebalanced before i started tearing into everything else

I'm running the airsoft pellets, no problems..

Try adding about 1oz at a time

It won't hurt to have to much in your tire. After what is needed to balance the tire will distribut out around the tire...
I read that on the internet so it must be true......

unless you WAY over do it, you cant put "too much" airsoft in there. if there is enough to balance the tire, it will and the "extra" will find a neutral spot in the tire.

8.5oz is more than 1/2 lb and the most my 33" swampers were off was 6oz, corrected with rim weights.

check your alignment (its easy to do yourself, check gojeep website), and unit bearings, check ball joints, check for play in the steering (inverted Y?), control arm mounts, tire out of round? TREs. all can be wobbly.

p.s. i dont think there is any advantage to filling your tires with nitrogen.

-Tim

I had 8oz. of bb's in 1 tire & had vibes @ 50-55. Jumped up to 12oz. & the vibes are gone. JIM.

Okay, that makes sense, I'll give it a try with more and see what happens.

I do have a feeling that my alignment is off because the truck pulls to the right...not gradual but pretty decent.

And yes, nitrogen is a huge advantage in tires, which is why race cars use it, truck drivers use it, bicyclists use it, the army, NASA, airplanes...many, many advantages such as:

# More consistent tire pressure.
# Reduced wheel corrosion.
# Prevents inner-liner rubber deterioration due to oxidation.
# Tires run cooler.
# Increases tread life.
# Increases fuel mileage.
# Helps prevent uneven wear .

Double Down said:
And yes, nitrogen is a huge advantage in tires, which is why race cars use it, truck drivers use it, bicyclists use it, the army, NASA, airplanes...many, many advantages such as:

# Tires run cooler.
# Increases tread life.

This may all be true but on a 4x4 it's like adding magnesium lugnuts to reduce the weight of a beadlocked 38" SX wheel and tire assembly.

yeah nitrogen is nice and all but i air my tires down to 9-10 psi every other weekend, the air that goes in doesn't stay very long so its just not economical, also if it hasn't been said yet make sure your tires are rotated at proper intervals, all the vibes i have ever gotten on all the xj's ive had is from front tire wear and cupping, especially bad with the directional claws that i am running now

Double Down said:
Okay, that makes sense, I'll give it a try with more and see what happens.

I do have a feeling that my alignment is off because the truck pulls to the right...not gradual but pretty decent.

# Tires run cooler.
# Increases tread life.

Wow but find it really hard to see how only an extra 22% nitrogen ( the air we breathe is 78% ) can give all that!

Yes first check everything, alignment, joints, bearing, etc. First, why in the hell do you need to run 35psi in a 33" trxus MT on a XJ? Hell even if I ran mine, when on 33's, at 30psi I would just be running on the center tread, do you have huge bumpers?. Secondly, how bad are they woren? As said before, tire wear will have a huge effect on ride. And lastest, add another 1.5 - 2 oz of pellets. I have about 10oz in each of my 35's, but I have the ceramic beads from innovative balance, smaller media, better distribution. I have a feeling wil a large pellet of the air-soft, you probably need more to get the same effect.

Like Carts said, most of the guys in our club run the smallest weight airsoft available, so that they spread out over a better area.

I had a vibe that would come in about the same spot. It was a u-joint.

Zthang43, how do you fix lateral imbalance? Haven't heard of that one.

Back