• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do on a tune-up??

helliphinon8

NAXJA Forum User
I'm no fool when it comes to workin on vehicles. I'm just new to XJ's and I wanna know what brands and what I should change on a tune up. I've got a '98 classic with 98k miles. THX!

depends on how involved you want to get. Some sevice intervals call to replace coolant, engine oil, TC oil, diff oil, trans oil, lube steering, fuel filter, oil filter, engine air filter etc...

and last but not least, change the air in the tires to winter air ;)

how long have you had it?
on a new-to-me xj i would do...
o2 sensor, fuel/air/ filters, oil change, cap/plugs/wires/rotor. maybe seafoam or other magic potion?

check the cat, motor mounts, diff fluids, brake/trans/transfercase fluids.

But XJ's go to 12...

11 is one thing... 12? Lets not get silly, this is a public forum... 12? come one... 12 pfft.

My tune ups include

oil and filter
clean air filter or replace (depends on filter material of course)
plugs (champion cheapies)
bosch premium wires, cap and rotor
dif fluid

when I feel like it I also change

tranny/tcase fluid
coolant
steering fluid
brake fluid

and of course a yearly douse of SeaFoam

But XJ's go to 12...

I forgot. :D

Anyway, in seriousness...

I use Champion Truck Plugs
Mopar wires
Mopar cap and rotor
Dayco polycog belt, check tension, etc.
Change/fill fluids
Radiator drain and fill
Wix 1.5qt filter and whichever oil is on sale (I don't DD this Jeep, so with the fewer miles on it I don't worry about what's in it)
Check trans and PS fluid
Lube control arms, steering joints, and leaf spring bushings
Tire pressures and lug torque
Check brake pads, rotors, and fluid

And countless other little things to make sure we're doing well.

After the plugs, cap, rotor, change the oil and filter, air filter, lube the steering linkage, ball joints, driveshafts, change all wiper blades, drain and refill Transfercase fluid, drain and refill tranny if automatic, check axle fluid levels, check air pressure of all 5 of your tires, inspect brakelines, cylinders, pads, rotors, drums, shoes, adjust rear brakes if drum type, lube all door, hatch, and hood hinges/cables, inspect all u-joints, inspect exhaust sytem, rotate tires, wash and wax jeep, and then polish the flux capacitor brackets.

probably forgot a lot of stuff, but somebody will spot it...

My flux capacitor brackets have rubber boots to prevent the seals from getting dusty.:D

Replace your upper and lower radiator hoses along with the radiator flush. (Change out the impossible factory hose spring clips with something more managable unless you have the proper pliars).

Take a look at all other hoses and vacuum lines while you're at it to make sure they are seated and in good condition.

Is that a Wix 51515 filter that you use?

I forgot. :D

Anyway, in seriousness...

I use Champion Truck Plugs
Mopar wires
Mopar cap and rotor
Dayco polycog belt, check tension, etc.
Change/fill fluids
Radiator drain and fill
Wix 1.5qt filter and whichever oil is on sale (I don't DD this Jeep, so with the fewer miles on it I don't worry about what's in it)
Check trans and PS fluid
Lube control arms, steering joints, and leaf spring bushings
Tire pressures and lug torque
Check brake pads, rotors, and fluid

And countless other little things to make sure we're doing well.

Back