• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A "street" XJ shock question?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,

I was thinking of replacing the shocks on my 89 XJ. I plan to use this for daily chores, skiing, snow driving, etc. I current have a new set of Goodyear Wrangler Armour 235/75-15 on it. I was looking at the small 1" lift kits with shocks ( Black Diamond) and others, but thought I would get some feed back. Is there any advantage of this small lifts? What you recommend for shocks?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

for a dd, something good. most of the shocks that come with the budget kits ride horribly. Go get a set of quality shocks, like monroes ect, from the parts store. or you can pay out for either the OME kit or just the old man emu shocks

Thanks for the feedback. I did not see Old Man EMU listed for a stock height XJ. Is it worth the extra money for the EMU vs. a Gabriel/Monroe shock?

Thanks,
Bob

Thanks for the feedback. I did not see Old Man EMU listed for a stock height XJ. Is it worth the extra money for the EMU vs. a Gabriel/Monroe shock?

Thanks,
Bob

Yes, I have the Nitrochargers and you will not be disappointed! They do have them for stock 0-3" lift and the extendeds for 3-5" lift.

Im running Rancho RS5000's up front with Napa airshocks out back on the same tires for my '98 and Dad has run those on both his base '88 and his current '90 with the same size tires of comparable tread and usage. You can get a 1-2" boost out of the air shocks but it makes the truck a little tipsy unless you've got a bunch of weight out back and the RS5000's are good for up to 2" of lift. All three XJ's have been used for all season DD purposes, Dad's XJ's were rail road trucks that saw alot of heavy cargo, off road use, as well as highway use (including extra legal speeds on exit ramps) and mine was used for a family vacation cruiser until my folks bought their '06 Town and COuntry, hauling product between hobby stores I worked for (both had same owners, and sometimes the loads got pretty heavy!), as well as hauling a good amount of my own hobby stuff and the occasional off road use (mostly our lousy, potholed, frost heaved roads that can be as rough as some of the off road stuff I've been on.)

Check out the OME springs. Do all 4 since you have an 89'. Also, replace your suspension bushings, this will help in ride quality.
For shocks, use a Bilstein or OME--a high quality shock matched to quality springs makes a difference.
Retain both sway bars and consider an upgrade in the front (Addco).
Use quality tires w/ proper air pressure. Michelin's have done well for me.

Replacing your steering components (ie. tie rod ends, track bar, etc...) will help in the feel of the steering wheel. Along with a quality steering stabilizer.

Goodluck!

OME and Rancho seem to be top notch. If you can get a new one from the dealer, that would be fine. The OEM model is a a quality SS.

If you want a high quality ride go with the entire OME kit, they are a matched system, you will get about 2-3 inches of lift that will settle a bit. They come in three levels, kinda stock, medium and heavy duty.

Speaking of shocks, my rear shock just fell out today and I thought it'd be a good time to replace them. I'd like to go with Moneroe Sensatrac's, but I have the upcountry package which lifts it about 1" or so. Would it be ok to go with Sensatrac's?

I've always gone with whatever gas shocks Sears has on sale AND has a lifetime guarantee. Speaking of which it's about time to go for a new free set....

Yes, those sensatracs will do just fine. I run them on a 2" BB. They came on my XJ when it was stock. I love them!

Back