• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do you do it?

seth0941

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i have 4" of lift on my xj. all the lift is spring, i am also running 31" swamper LBT's. we went out this weekend and i STUFFED one of my rear tires into the fender so bad it bent the fender. the bad part is that i have allredy trimed the fenders some.

so, my question is, how do you guys run 33" tires on a 3 1/2" or 4" lift and not rub? am i the only one that is looking at going with a 6" lift to clear 31's?

I'm running 33's on 3.5" lift. Trimmed about 2.5" off of the front and 1.5" off the rear. If I have somebody sitting in the back I will rub in the rear under full flex, but empty it is good. I am probably going to put a 1" shackle on the rear to give it a little more room.

1000583gt2.th.jpg

I cut my front fenders along the line that the top of the stock flare made and cut the rear fender almost up to the crease line. I have 2" extended bumpstops in the front, none in the rear.

If I were you, extend your bumpstops and trim some more and you'll be fine and can even go with some bigger tires.

3" lift, 37's

n42500460_31431254_8596.jpg

n45905617_31250453_9059.jpg
grazed my fenders that trip because my bumpstops exploded from a couple jumps

bumpstop until your shocks don't bottom out/ springs invert then trim til the tires fit, more bumpstopping may be needed with supa big tyaz

yea my 30"s rub pretty bad in the front with the sway bar off with a 3" lift. I haven't trimmed or extended the bump stops yet.

3" lift, 37's

n42500460_31431254_8596.jpg

n45905617_31250453_9059.jpg
grazed my fenders that trip because my bumpstops exploded from a couple jumps

bumpstop until your shocks don't bottom out/ springs invert then trim til the tires fit, more bumpstopping may be needed with supa big tyaz

Is that the same Jeep? The tires look smaller in the second pic.

My bumpstopps were gone when I got my jeep, I have 4.5 (rubicon) kit and 33x12.5s and I made my own bumpstops. I stuffed the rear tire until about 1/2 inch contact and measured from axle tube to uniframe rail and made them to fit

bump1.jpg

they have been modifies since to help distribute the load along more area. but work great.

Last edited:
trim it or get wheels with different back spacing im runnin 32x11.5 m/t and outter edge of my tires are flush with the top center of the flares and im at 4.5 and no trimming of fenders ive had them tucked so bad they rubbed the factory under coat out of my rear wheel wells and folded over the pinch seem

how ever the cheaper route would be trim and run larger flares if your worried bout legalities seein as wheels can be pricy unless you go steelies

and who needs bumpstops

Theres not much trimmed off that rear flare. Cut up to where the pinch seam is and you can cut slots in between them and fold the rest undet the fender out of the way for another 1" of clearance. That should be plenty.

ok, i have 4" of lift on my xj. all the lift is spring, i am also running 31" swamper LBT's. we went out this weekend and i STUFFED one of my rear tires into the fender so bad it bent the fender. the bad part is that i have allredy trimed the fenders some.

so, my question is, how do you guys run 33" tires on a 3 1/2" or 4" lift and not rub? am i the only one that is looking at going with a 6" lift to clear 31's?

I have 31 inch tires on a two inch lift, zero trimming. I get no fender interference at all with MJ bumpstops in back and hockey puck bumpstop extensions in front along with just using the stock 5.25 inch backspaced wheels. I do get some rubbing on my LCA's at full crank though.

Back