• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck T-case bolt NEED HELP!!!

NH99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I started installing my Tcase drop. Everything I read said to remove the nut and use a pair of vise grips to remove the stud. Well needless to say i stripped the crap out of the stud. I have tried PB blaster, a torch, and an air chissle. The freakin thing budges slightly but the vise grips slip off. Now I have a stripped bolt and no T case drop. What do I do to get it out???? I am suppose to leave fir work in 3 hours. I thought this was suppose to be easy!!!:rattle:

A small pipe wrench bites better than vice grips. Or you can cut it off & drill it out & tap it before the weld nut breaks loose. Once the weld nut breaks loose it's a real pita.

i bought a pipe wrench and it did the trick. Drivers side drop went on without a hitch. Now I have another problem. The freakin bolts dont line on the passanger side. I can get one bolt in but the other is way off. This stupid Tcase drop has taken me longer to install than my lift. Now im out of time and going to attempt to drive to work with one bolt missing. We shall see.

Im very frustrated.
Thanks for the tip on the pipe wrench though, its my new favorite tool.

Did you start all 4 bolts first before cranking any down?

Not at first. The directions that came with the kit are crap. First it told me to remove the studs with vise grips (That didnt work). The it said to install the drivers side first then do the passenger side.
So at first the one side was tight, then i lossened it. Still cant get it to line up. Im taking a break for now because I am way to frustrated and i need to leave for work soon.

I may give it another shot in the morning. Hope nothing bad happens driving it with a bolt missing.

I had the same issue as you trying to get the studs out. The first I tried taking out with vice grips but all that did was strip the threads. I tried a pipe wrench on it but that didn't work either. I then drove over to a friend's place with only 3 bolts holding the crossmember and got him to weld a nut to it but it simply broke the stud clean off.
Frustrated... I drove it with a missing stud for over a week until I finally got a longer stud welded on.
Looking back I wish I had tried the double nut method first. I'm sure it would have worked.

PS. take it easy on the gas pedal and i'm sure you'll be fine driving it with only 3 bolts holding it. I did and all was fine.

Back