• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaky Steering Wheel

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
whenever i go to turn sometimes, it sounds like the steering wheel is rubbing up against something, so its not really a squeak like a PS squeak but like when im turning my steering wheel the back of it is rubbing up against the column. it doesn't effect the steering, just annoying to hear. So i took some q tips and cleaned it up a bit, but was wondering if it would be wise to put some wd 40 or some vasoline around that area or no? just something to stop the squeaking!

I know the tj steering wheel is bad about squeaking where the coloum goes through the firewall spray the rubber boot with silicone spray it worked on my old wrangler.

In addition to the above, I recently had a similar squeaking/clicking when turning. It turned out to be a relocated line in the engine bay after my '99 intake manifold install. Additional rerouting moved it away from the steering shaft and the noise stopped. Look for similar contact points both in the engine bay and under dash.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back