• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel is crooked. HELP!

xjrider95

NAXJA Forum User
i moved my trac bar and now my steering wheel is almost upside down when the wheels are straight

is there a way to spin my steering wheel back around to being straight?

Alignment time!
DIY:
Set the steering wheel straight.
Make sure the pitman arm is centered on the steering box(pitman arm centered). It the pitman arm isn't centered, forget wheel position and center the pitman arm.
Adjust the drag link so the passenger side tire pointed straight down the road. The drag link is the rod that connects the pitman arm on the steering box with the passenger side tire. Lay a long 2x4 down next to the f & r tires if you don't feel comfortable eyeballing it.
When done with the drag link, measure from tire to tire at the front and back of the front tires(inside or outside doesn't matter, but take the measurement as far up the tire as possible, and the same height. The measurement should be 1/4" to 1/2" shorter at the front of the tire.(tires should be "toed in" or pointed slightly at each other)

If the wheel wasn't centered when the pitman arm is centered, you will have to pull the steering wheel and re-install it centered.

edit: also, while you're going over everything, make sure there are no worn components.(ball joints, tie rod ends, and yes, track bar pivots)

Crooked steering wheel just needs the drag link adjusted. Loosen the 2 bolts, rotate the drag link until the steering wheel is centered, tighten 2 bolts.

I had to adjust then drive mine, then adjust a few times to get it just right. Couldnt get it centered with it just parked.

IIRC,both the pitman arm and the steering wheel are "Indexed".

The pitman arm has 4 positions it can be installed in, so instead of being a spline off, it'd have to be 90 degrees off. Hard to do considering it has a total throw of about 90 degrees. Just back it up in the driveway, let it go straight forward, stop. loosen the drag link, adjust it until the steering wheel is about where you want it, and you're done.

The pitman arm has 4 positions it can be installed in, so instead of being a spline off, it'd have to be 90 degrees off. Hard to do considering it has a total throw of about 90 degrees. Just back it up in the driveway, let it go straight forward, stop. loosen the drag link, adjust it until the steering wheel is about where you want it, and you're done.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

Oh, have the steering wheel unlocked when you adjust it. I also center mine a little bit off to compensate for the crown of the road.

Oh, have the steering wheel unlocked when you adjust it. I also center mine a little bit off to compensate for the crown of the road.

Something Ive wondered about, roads here are all Flat not crowned really. A few roads are slanted slightly and on those roads my jeep always pulls to one side(down the slant). Is that normal and nothing to mean my alignment is off?

Something Ive wondered about, roads here are all Flat not crowned really. A few roads are slanted slightly and on those roads my jeep always pulls to one side(down the slant). Is that normal and nothing to mean my alignment is off?

It is normal to pull to the side that the road is slanted to.
Roads tend to be crowned or slanted to the passenger side. This serves 2 purposes: 1) it helps drain rain water to the edge of the road 2) if the driver falls asleep, there is better chance that they run away from oncoming traffic rather than into it. It is mostly for reason #1.

Yes, when a shop does an alignment they'll usually compensate for the crown in the road.

Crooked steering wheel just needs the drag link adjusted. Loosen the 2 bolts, rotate the drag link until the steering wheel is centered, tighten 2 bolts.

I had to adjust then drive mine, then adjust a few times to get it just right. Couldnt get it centered with it just parked.

I've seen illustrations that interchange "drag link" with "tie rod tube." Both have bolts to be loosened for adjustment, which may confuse you.

Back