• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auxillary lights

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
on my first xj i had a pair of piaa 520 amber fogs and they were really fu***n bright they installed nicely and i had no probs with them..except for the $229 i didnt have anymore... now im looking for 4 lights to through up on my roof (driving) and two for the front (fog) were i live there is a lot of bad weather and no street lights so i can't see so well..even with a ipf headlight upgrade...the thing is i will absolutly not spend $720 on 3 pairs of fog lights.. thats idiotic.. i was wondering what you guys were using for aux lights... roof mount and front...and how do the lights look (brightness wise)...i've seen and like KC but dont know there brightness but 100w cant be any less bright then the 55w piaas right?

thanks to anyone who posts

I have 4 Hella 4000 Rallye lights on the roof. It makes it look like daylight I have two spots center mounted and cornering or fogs on either end (I can't remember). I'm not so sure its legal to use on the road, but it will blind you pretty well from a good distance. Long story short for the price you can't go better with 100Watts each. They are also very large though...

EMSJEEP said:
I have 4 Hella 4000 Rallye lights on the roof. It makes it look like daylight I have two spots center mounted and cornering or fogs on either end (I can't remember). I'm not so sure its legal to use on the road, but it will blind you pretty well from a good distance. Long story short for the price you can't go better with 100Watts each. They are also very large though...

Oh FYI its not legal i got pulled over for mine on my Roof the cop told me to " "Turn off my F**kin Lights." I told him they were driving lights and street legal and after argueing with him i just agreed and turned them back onme when he left. But he said anything on your roof is not street legal just to let you guys know.

Depends what state you're in. In CA there is a minimum and a maximum height for "driving lights". You are allowed one pair of auxilary lights within those measurements, any lights other than that are considered "off road lights" and must be covered at all times on road. Any lights higher than the maximum(something like 36") height from the ground are also to be covered at all times on road.

Then again, it all depends on the state.:thumbup:

Two hella 450's under the bumper for your fog lights, they will light up the area the IPF headlights don't on low beam, they will also light up the sides of the road if you adjust them properly. As for driving, another set of 450's or 550's on top of the bumper for distance, again adjust them correctly. If you want more then I would go with a set of Hella 500 rounds up on the roof but you are going to need a bill or deflector under them to not light up the hood...

I run 4 120W KCs on the roof and 2 hellas on the bumper. the KCs are bright as hell but the Hellas could be better.

I live in Colorado and I'm not positive what the restrictions are for lights, but I've heard a good rule of thumb and go by it: Lights above your mirrors should NOT be on while you're driving.

I have stock fogs (not stock wiring), and hella 550's on top of the bumper. Between those and the stock headlights it works out pretty good.

Next step for me is to upgrade the bulbs in the aux lights (55w in the fogs, 85-100w in the 550's) then upgrade the headlamp circuit.

here in az you can get factory seconds from KC that have a blemish on them (something like they dont say kc on the lense) but anyways they are 120w and six inch round they sell them for $25. and yeh you can have any offroad light on your truck unless they are covered at all times.

As I typically do with lighting questions I am going to throw my vote out for Lightforces. Although they are not least expensive light on the market they offer a lot for the money ($270ish for my size). I have a set of the RMDL 170s (6.5") on the front of my '91 and am hoping to add a second pair to replace the POS Hella 550s I also have up there.

401189_50_full.jpg

The Lightforces are made of polycarbonate resin and are basically bullet resistent (their website actually has video of them being shot) and they can't rust. They have the ability to be focused from flood to spot, and they offer "filters" (<$20) which also act as stone shields. The filters come in several different colors for different conditions and a couple color options have wide-angle options as well making them into a fog light. So basically 1 light does the duty of 2-3 different lights. They are definately bright for 100w, I have left a shadow in front of my friend's Ranger when he had his highbeams on.

Just my $0.02

Yeah, don't get caught with lights on your roof in NY, they don't like that. After the IPF headlight upgrade though I couldn't ask for anything more. The roof lights only go on for those unlighted country roads in PA, night beach driving or stationary ops...I don't drive with them and I don't need to. I believe the 4000's have an 8" diameter? Something like that.

anewlife84 said:
here in az you can get factory seconds from KC that have a blemish on them (something like they dont say kc on the lense) but anyways they are 120w and six inch round they sell them for $25. and yeh you can have any offroad light on your truck unless they are covered at all times.

Wanna hook me up with a set? Is that $25/pair, or $25/ea ?

Back