• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CTS bad?

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
My e fan runs all the time whether or not the ac or defrost is on which leads me to think that the CTS is bad. But the temp gauge works just fine. Anyone have some idea here? Is there a relay that I don't know about??
TIA

asatxj said:
My e fan runs all the time whether or not the ac or defrost is on which leads me to think that the CTS is bad. But the temp gauge works just fine. Anyone have some idea here? Is there a relay that I don't know about??
TIA

What year? Some are controlled by the CTS and others are not.
BTW there are 2 CTS's the gage has it own and the engine has it's own.

My '88 4.0 had a sensor for the fan mounted in the radiator, separate from the engine temp sensors for the gauge and ECM input.

Sorry, I was in between classes and didn't have time to type it all
99 sport
4.0l
84k miles
temp gauge shows 210*+- (normal) for daily driving and in heat.
The Efan runs from the minute I start it, it may go off for a few seconds but never more than that.

does it come on right when you put the key on??? it may be a bad relay but would that keep it on with the key off. also there may be a little ait in it.

Sending unit for the e fan is in the thermostat housing. Control for the fan is not linked with the temp sending unit for the gague.

It comes on about 5 sec after the key is turned on. I'll check the relay when I check out the FSM and find it.

asatxj said:
TIA

The fan is triggered by a relay that sits behind the driver's side headlight housing. It sounds like that relay's stuck on the "on" position so replace it.

Back