• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabbed up an oil holder... (PICS)

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this in socal, but figured it'd get some use here as well...

So recently, while cleaning out my Jeep, I noticed the 5 quart jug of oil I had in the back of my Jeep had ruptured, and spilled oil all over the carpet in the back of my XJ. Bummer dude...

So today, I was BS'ing with my equally unemployed friend, that I wanted to figure something out to hold it. He told me to come by and we got to work!

Started with how much oil / fluid we wanted it to hold, and worked from there

34pdod4.jpg

Then we drew up some top secret plans that I can't divulge per my fabricator... :eek: Cut and marked and started press breaking.

24vo8w6.jpg

Welded the sides on.

2dvont3.jpg

x1fyua.jpg

Anyway, without posting every picture of the process, this is what we ended up with. I'm happy with it! Once I get the next project I've got going mounted in the back of my jeep, this will mount to it, and be nice and sturdy.

260twmt.jpg

2cxeuqh.jpg

I've got a bungee wrapped around the arm for now, will probably do something more later, depending on how this works out.

So.... is that your "deep throat" metal punch in the background or your buddy's? LOL... That marketing person must have been high that day.

Nice TIG work man, I love little projects like that. Whats the "next project" its going to mount to?

~James

So.... is that your "deep throat" metal punch in the background or your buddy's? LOL... That marketing person must have been high that day.

Nice TIG work man, I love little projects like that. Whats the "next project" its going to mount to?

~James
Hahaha, yea, I just noticed that :laugh:

My next project will be on here soon enough hopefully sometime next week. I'm building a rack in the back of the XJ to give me a spot for my spare, and a spot to tie straps down to.

nice holder. being a sheet metal guy, it's alot easier measure and punch the metal where you want the bends to be. you dont have to get out a straight edge then, and you wont have problems with it looking not straight, when it's really straight.

measure from the leading edge, to where you want the bend, then punch the tape there.

then do the same on the other side, that way there is no line across the middle, just two punches, then you can line up the punch on each side

the punch width, is the width of the bend, so when you come down with the brake, you split the difference of the dot, and the bend will be nice and square.

the marker is wider than the bend.

it's like chalking a line to cut sheet metal, you should use a scribe.

measure from the leading edge, to where you want the bend, then punch the tape there.

then do the same on the other side, that way there is no line across the middle, just two punches, then you can line up the punch on each side

the punch width, is the width of the bend, so when you come down with the brake, you split the difference of the dot, and the bend will be nice and square.

the marker is wider than the bend.

it's like chalking a line to cut sheet metal, you should use a scribe.
Oh I see what you're saying... eh, oh well it worked well :D

Damn, too bad I didn't weld it. It'd look a lot better. LOL!

If you have something constructive to add then do it otherwise noone here wants to listen to a freeloading dick. Add something or get lost.

Back