• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beefing up Rear Hatch shocks

northernxj

NAXJA Forum User
I sound deadened and filled my rear hatch with poly fill to eliminate rattles from my sub. The rear hatch is significantly heavier. The factory shocks/hydraulics that hold the lift gate open do not have what it takes to hold the hatch open. It will close on you when you open it, or will stay open enough for me to fit under, but I am like 5' 6'', so I was seeing if anyone has come up with a solution for worn out, or inadequate lift gate shocks. Any suggestions, other than removing the polyfill, are welcome. Thanks a lot,
Stephen

Have you tried buying new shocks for it? Could just be worn out.

I'd wager they're just worn out. I don't think there's any way you could have stuffed more than a couple pounds of polyfill in there, and I've got about 15 pounds of deadener on mine, and while it doesn't spring open like it used to, it will push itself all the way up once you give it a nudge to get it started, and stay up on its own.

Used to be that you had to slam it hard to get it to close, though, and I don't know if that's consistent with the typical jeep hatch.

You could always steal the studs and shocks from another hatch and add them in there with some not too fancy bracket fabbing and runa 4 shock setup...

Back