• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case issue

stevelknieveleer

NAXJA Forum User
i just picked up a 89XJ and when i got it the part time light on the dash has been on (im assuming that means part time 4wd?) well i got under it earlier to drop the tank and noticed the transfer case linkage isnt hooked up to the transfer case. well i shifted the case into 4lo with a pair of channel locks and i clearly felt it shift into 4lo but the part time light is still lit on the dash. is this a electrical problem or is something else wrong?

Nope, you have the 242 set up.. Mine does the same thing.... My bad, i could be wrong.. I think my wifes says part time too.. She the other t-case.. look at the back of your case, it will have a tag on it that tells you what it is

Welcome to jeep lingo: "part-time" means that both drive shafts are locked together so you can only use it "part time" IE do not use it on pavement and turn the wheel or you'll grenade the transfer case.

4-Low is always part time

ohhh thats why it hasnt been wanting to turn in my driveway lol. is the occasional slow turn gonna kill it? right now the the clip on the cable that holds it to the t case is broke.
and does anyone know if i can get a new clip or rig it up?

Back