• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will this size wheel rub? spacers? wheel options..etc.

XJ96Classic

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering if any of you know if this size wheel will rub on my lower control arms. Anyone with past experience running this set up.

I have a 96 with RE3.5"
I was running 32x11.5 MTRs with 15x8 4.5 offset rims and there was a little rubbing on the lower control arm at full turn on driver side only.

I am debating running a set of 31x10.5 bfg AT on stock rims 15x7 5.25"?
will this work ... or will i need to use a spacer? my calculations tell me that i would now be about 1/2-1" further into that wheel well than before. . .which regardless that the tire is 1" smaller I would defiantly be rubbing.

Eh.. what do you all think

my other option is that I could just get a set of moabs 16x8 with the 5" offset... but i am curious if i would have to run a spacer there as well...because i would only be gaining .25" offset over a stock rim.

who runs stock rims with 31x10.5s on them?
what issues do you have?
does anyone have spacers?

Stock rims rub with 31"s, Adjust the steering stops in the front. they always rub on your lower control arms if you don't. When I went to 15x8" TJ wheels I had to pull the rear sway bar. When we put the same 15x7"/31" wheels & tires that didn't rub on my rear sway bar on my sons' XJ, they rubbed badly enough on his rear bar to ruin a tire. Spacers work well, the biggest issue with them seems to be the price tag.

15x8's with 4" backspacing are inexpensive. I run 32x11.50's on the said wheel size and I only rub a small amount on my adjustable arms. If I were worried about it I'd just simply adjust the steering stops.

I was going to paint my stock wheels and buy spacers but buying spacers would have cost so much more, and I'd have extra work to do by painting the wheels....but at the same time I could upgrade to steel wheels with a different width and different backspacing and end up ahead monetary wise and strength wise. It's a no brainer really.

Back