• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

im curious what this is....

MarioWario

NAXJA Forum User
i had my xj on the lift as school today to work on the rear brakes and noticed this on my tranfer case i was wondering if it was a sye???

sye.jpg

Do you know if it is????

i think the specific thing in question is the output spline housing, fwiw...

sye3.jpg

here's what a SYE looks like... the slip is in the driveshaft...

it eliminates the slip in your yoke. It puts the slip oin your driveshaft instead of the yoke, which can pull out on overextension due to too much lift.

It doesn't "really" help wit hdriveshaft angle, it just gives the DS one more point of angulation. you know what i mean? It doesn't have only one place to pivot, now it has two, thus making driveline vibes. The extra ujoint helps add to the degree of angle the DS can take.

alright hell ya i got it know man thanks.
yeah it makes since because i heard alot about peoples yokes coming out and shit and i dunno i wasnt too sure what they looked like i just noticed it moved in and out so i figured is was a sye haha i dunno

It doesn't "really" help wit hdriveshaft angle, it just gives the DS one more point of angulation. you know what i mean? It doesn't have only one place to pivot, now it has two, thus making driveline vibes. The extra ujoint helps add to the degree of angle the DS can take.

Actually the SYE does improve your driveline angle. It's the double cardan (CV) jointed driveshaft that is typically used with a SYE kit that gives you "one more point of angulation" as you put it. However, the purpose of installing a SYE is to allow you to use a longer driveshaft which in turn gives you a driveline angle that is not as steep. Sketch it out on a piece of paper and just look at the angles.

FWIW you could install a double cardan jointed driveshaft without a SYE and still get your "one more point of angulation" or, install a single cardan jointed driveshaft with a SYE and still lessen you driveshaft angles. It just makes sense to do both at the same time to maximize the benefits since installing a SYE requires a new driveshaft anyways.

Back