• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about the 8 1/4 rearends....

milehigh

NAXJA Forum User
got a 2000 cherokee with the 8 1/4, I noticed something odd with it the other day. If you push the vehicle from side to side on the rear the drivers side drum moves in and out from the backing plate. As in if you were to push and pull on the drivers side drum it would move in and out. Is this normal? Doesnt seem like it should do this and the other side doesnt. Ive never seen any other rearend do this either. My manual sucks and doesnt give me any info on the rearend that is helpful. Only thing it tells me is that it uses the clips inside but gives no mention if there is anything outboard that could be loosened up causing it to move around. any ideas? thanks in advance

really must have something to do with the c-clip design then i guess. next time im changning fluids ill take a look at it, unless some thinks its more urgent than that?

The axle shafts must have room to be pushed in to allow the c clips to be installed and removed. The center pin limits the travel of the shaft so that they can't fall out under use. Even with the pin installed, there is still a little in-out play that is normal.

Back