• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading the d30 shafts

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a '91, and the left u-joint on my front D30 is shot. Since my stuff is (probably) original with 340k miles on it, it'll be easier to replace the shafts than the u-joints. I know that some of the later models have better u-joints, and that some of the TJ shafts are supposed to have them as well. What do I need to look for exactly? I don't have ABS or vac disco.

I don't want to spend a bunch of coin, since I plan to replace the whole axle in the next few months, but I do plan to give the D30 to another jeeper who is doing a 2WD to 4WD conversion on a Comanche. I'm just looking to fix the u-joints by replacing the shafts with newer (used) stuff that won't break before I do the swap.

Thanks

Thanks. Do I need to worry about ABS stuff? Also what about the TJ options, there are a lot more of those in the local club?

Do you have a tone ring on your shaft, or ABS? If so you have 297 joints, easy to replace the U-Joint. Mine's a 91 and it had 297 joints, but those shafts are spares for my Alloy USA shafts now. :)

Back