• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 disc brake conversion

redcycle13

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished my conversion last night, and I'm less than impressed with the results considering the time it took to get everything to work. Is there a cost effective way to increase line pressure to the rear calipers. I already did the proportioning valve mod, and it maybe helped a little. Also my brake light comes on every now and then now, but the system has been bled correctly. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would look into the mastercylinder. I know on some models there is a restrictor type of valve that is inside the outlet on the mastercylinder. That or look into changing the mastercylinder to the Grand Cherokee like Clean-RC stated which was set up for rear discs. My 2 cents

unscrew the line going into the pvalve for the rear and unsrew the line going out to the rear brakes and screw those into the adj pvalve. Screw plugs into the pvalve where you disc. the lines, bleed the system and your done. Now your front brakes are being run off of the factory pvalve and the rears off of the new adj. pvalve.

I just called a buddy at a parts store to has how much they charge for a Prop valve, and he said just use a residual valve. I'm not sure how this would help. Can someone explain?

unscrew the line going into the pvalve for the rear and unsrew the line going out to the rear brakes and screw those into the adj pvalve. Screw plugs into the pvalve where you disc. the lines, bleed the system and your done. Now your front brakes are being run off of the factory pvalve and the rears off of the new adj. pvalve.

Makes perfect sense now. I was making it harder in my own mind.

I just called a buddy at a parts store to has how much they charge for a Prop valve, and he said just use a residual valve. I'm not sure how this would help. Can someone explain?

Residual valves hold pressure on the line. They normally come in 2lb. and 10lb. Brakes work off of approx. 500lb. of pressure. I'm not sure a 10lb. valve would do much for you. It may though and they're not that expensive. I would be more inclined to use adjustable valve bypassing your stock portioning valve as previously mentioned.

Back