• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting an XJ

xjndmud

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know how many quarts of paint and primer are needed for a decent paint job on an XJ

Paint?
Does that cause added drag through the rocks?

; )

(sorry, no idea)

I can tell you that I had an old full-size Cherokee repainted from the beltline down (did not do the roof or the hood), and it took a gallon of paint -- there was maybe a half pint left over to be saved for touch-up. This was not me doing it in the back yard -- I had to done by a shop, so I'm sure they put on the correct thickness, yada yada.

The right ammount of paint on the rockers eleminates the need for rock rails. The paint helps the rig slide easily over the rocks. Conversly, too much paint on top does add more drag and increases the risk of rollover by chainging the vehicles center of gravity.

I just repainted my 89xj 4dr. I painted the door jams and the entire exterior. i did not use any primer, just sanded down the top coat and re-top coated. I used less than a gallon but would recommend purchasing a gallon to do it and have some left over for touch up.

HTH,
Michael

Back