• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

procomp mudterrain opinions

snail

NAXJA Forum User
the xj is due for some new shows so ive been looking at the ProComp Radial Mud Terrains 32x11.50 radial, mounted on series 97s since ProComp has the buy-one-get-one going on right now

anyone have these before? anything good or bad about them?

i like them because they still appear DD friendly and streetable but are still aggressive. i would get xterrains again but im a little strapped for cash.

any opinions welcome

Maxxis Bighorns are cheaper and perform the same if not better. Look at them. Good tread ware too. No visible ware in 5000 miles. Keep them rotated whichever tire you go with. MTs get loud if you dont rotate them regularly.

I believe its buy 3 get 1 free when they have it going. ProComp muds are ok but some will say they suck and some will swear by them. Main thing for me was the wear, to me they wore very quik. Mild offroading there fine, there sidewalls don't like rocks though. But I'm sure more will chime in with different claims.

If you are tight on cash try your local tire shop and get a set of there generic muds. There going to perform just as good as the ProComps. I'm running Mud Kings and the tread is very similar to a swamper but in a more street friendly way.

Sean

Last edited:
I did have a set of Pro Comp ATs. Never rotated them and my alignment was off and still ran them for over a year LOL. Probably 25,000 or so. The rears still had over half tread left too.

IDK how the MTs are but I loved the ATs. But for like 10 bux more a tire you can have the muds.

I made the mistake of buying a set of 5 used pro-Crap mud tires. They had about 95% of the tread on 'em. So far I've had to replace 2 of the damn things for punctured side walls. One happened on the road after I rolled over a small piece of wood and the second was literally torn open by a round rock. Junk!!

Buy 3 get one free? Never happen. 4wp jacks up the price of the 3 you're paying for to cover the cost of the "Free" tire. Those fookers are as crooked as a politician!

the xj is due for some new shows so ive been looking at the ProComp Radial Mud Terrains 32x11.50 radial, mounted on series 97s since ProComp has the buy-one-get-one going on right now

i like them because they still appear DD friendly and streetable but are still aggressive. i would get xterrains again but im a little strapped for cash.

any opinions welcome

They crawl over rock great when aired down to single digits. Def. weaker sidewalls then I'm used too. I've went through 2 in the past 2 months. Great on the road. Great wear if rotated. Very smooth and I'm running 35 x 12.5 unbalanced. I like them and will prolly buy again.

the buy 3 get one free bulshit is true, they price a 150$ tire at $220, good selling technique just be sure to do your math to see if its worth it. and BFGs dont neccesarily wear like iron, it depends a lot on your alignment, i turned a 90% tread one into 35% in about 800 miles from a poor alignment. Id say go bighorn, great tire in every category, especially price.

I got a set of 35x12.5 ProComp M/T's on the XJ right now. When they were new they were really quiet on road but over time they have developed a hum. They are OK off road. They dont clear very well and tend to cake up. You've got to spin em like 100mph to keep them clear lol. As you can tell.....

DSCN0316.jpg

I ran Pro-Comp MT's and loved them off road, they were hella loud on road. I ran them for 10k and gave them to my fiends kid and 2 years later they are still like new tread wear wise. The fact that they held up to a 17 year old kid in a 99 XJ who wheels hard and drives hard says something for the durability of the tire.

Ask R-Jeep. He runs these in 35's.

any opinions welcome

You better hurry up and snatch those babies! I ordered mine almost five years ago and they said that they'd be ending that promotion soon!
Hahahaha :roflmao:
I thought they were loud (but I don't know of any M/T's that aren't) and I couldn't EVER keep em balanced. But I never once got a flat, they seemed to be very sturdy off-road. Traction wise... I dunno... good? It's kinda hard to compare em... I mean, they're M/T's. And they do wear fast.

I've been running the ProComp Xtreme MTs in 33x12.5 and I love them so far. Very road friendly w/ some noise. All summer I drove to the beach and back home every weekend (just under 100 highway miles over the weekend) and they've held up really well. Never aired them down on the beach, never had to. They are supposed to have a much stronger sidewall - of course living at the jersey shore I don't plan on much rock climbing.

thanks everyone. yea i dont really mind road hum at all and i wont be doing too extreme wheeling so i think theyll suffice
but yeah ill make sure to check if they have jacked up the price for the buy 3 get one. 4WD and quadratec are both running that promotion right now so i think the price is fair.

Back