• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Injector clip question.

StaleAle

NAXJA Forum User
So my buddy asked me to test one of my injectors for him tonight. I went to remove the injector clip to get to the pins to OHM test it and the clip disintegrated....... I checked all of them and they are just brittle and ready to break. Any thoughts......?

The electrical connector? One of mine has been zip-tied in place for several years.

I would be all about the splice however the CPU will check for resistance for the injector signal. If you splice and but-connect then you wont have a good connection between the wires and will create resistance. If you splice with solder then the solder itself will create resistance....... either way you may throw off your signal and maybe just maybe start to sputter at low rpm's..........................................

Has anyone ever taken the connector apart and plugged the existing pins into a new one...... Kinda like Molex?

I would be all about the splice however the CPU will check for resistance for the injector signal. If you splice and but-connect then you wont have a good connection between the wires and will create resistance. If you splice with solder then the solder itself will create resistance....... either way you may throw off your signal and maybe just maybe start to sputter at low rpm's..........................................

Has anyone ever taken the connector apart and plugged the existing pins into a new one...... Kinda like Molex?

If you do a good job on the splice (strip to clean wire, solid crimps, &c.) you have no reason to not trust the connection. I have seen solder connections "go cold" underhood from heat cycles, which is why I don't use them.

However, I know that crimp connections - done well - will work fine. Even on XJs. I had to rebuild the common ground several years ago on a 1987 that I had (damned City...) and it worked just fine after that (did it to eliminate a floating ground problem that I had.)

Use a decent connector, a good crimper, and seal them well; and you'll be okeh.

Not sure how Chrysler ECM's work. But, I've never seen a ECM check for resistance to fire off the injectors. My last harness I built (megasquirted LT1) I used crimped connectors and it worked just fine. If you are concerned, use the gold plated versions and be done with it.

However DO NOT solder the joint. It will work harden with vibration and cause you all kind of gremlins and headaches down the road.

Back