• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack with no roof rack?

exo cage and bolt it to that.

This is kinda off topic, but I know a guy that got the frame work from a horse trailer which was basically a flat bed with large upside down "U"s they made the perfect roof rack looked like an aftermarket product.

I have the Thule bars and they work great - thinking about getting a third bar. My suggestion if you go w/ Thule, is to get the 50" bars. Most sites say that this length is too short and won't work - they usually recommend 58" bars. The 50"s fit perfect w/ about 1/2" of bar hanging out past each foot mount. You could go w/ the recommended 58" then cut it down to fit but that's just more work. Just my opinion.

50" ? I thought they were 48s, and I do agree that they seem a bit too short. I've been able to throw a 4x8 sheet of plywood up there but there's little room to provide proper tiedown at that width.

After 6 or 7 years up there, my front bar is rusting through from inside the coating - looks like I'll have to replace that one of these days. Think I'll go for the wider bars and cut a few inches off the end - shouldn't take too long and I'll have a slightly wider tiedown option.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

another option get 6 pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" emt conduit (your choice) some flat stock width up to you, i used 2", some angle cut to same width bend it up to what ever size you want mine is 4 x 6. weld together and call it done. total cost less than 40 bucks

You need a set of the gutter mount rails.... several companies make them.... Yakima, Thule.... look on ebay for some.

XJs with factory racks have a different roof panel. I don't know if it's reinforced or just has the holes for the rack stamped in it but when you buy a new panel they specify with or without rack. I would not recomend installing a factory rack on a rig that didn't come with one anyway. They are kind of a weak pos. I took my crossbars off a couple of years ago after they bent. I do have another set to put back on if I need them though. Listen to all the people that are telling you to use a gutter mount rack, that's experience talking.

I went with the roof rack from Olimpic. It mounts right to the gutter.

I have this for sale.... gutter mounts, lights, shovel, ....everything except the high lift.

jeep4-1.jpg

jeep7.jpg

jeep1-1.jpg

Back