• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower rear shock bolt

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
This afternoon I was installing new rear shocks on my '92. Got all of the top bolts loose! They're not too old, I broke and replaced 'em a few years ago, but today I broke a big bolt at the bottom. There's so much rust and scale that it's hard to see what's going on there. The head, in the mount, is rounded, like a stovebolt, and it appears as though there is a washer-looking device on the shock side, where the bushing snugs up. I figure I'll have to grind it off, but how is it attached? Is it pressed in, or screwed in? Are they available at a parts store? I need an idea before I get the grinder out. Thanks, Ray

It's tacked in, if I remember correctly. This might be a good time for you ot consider raising your shock mounts: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearShockM.htm There are threads floating around NAXJA with a NAPA part number for that shock bolt too...but I never remembered to write it down.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yes, it was tacked in, from the side that carries the shock. I used a cut-off wheel to remove what I could from the mount (being careful not to damage the mount), and then ground it smooth. Then I tapped the surface with a hammer, and out popped the rounded stud head. I drilled a 1/2" hole dead center in the rounded dimple in the mount, intending to use a 1/2'' bolt. But, I figured that it may want to roll around in the dimple. I went to Advance Auto, and in the 'HELP' section, there it was! HELP part #31001, the Shock Bolt Kit, and it tightened down nice, and was only $5.98, plus the Governor's share. Thankfully, an easy fix!

Back