• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel bearing DIY with pictures!

Two errors, IMO, I would never use red loctite on the three hub bolts, I would also never use grease on the hub to knuckle surfaces. What I do is chuck a 3m pad in the air tool and clean the surfaces up then coat with copper based anti-seize.

No need to use the puller either - just put a socket between the back bolt after you back it out halfway and the u-joint knuckle or the axle housing end, turn the wheel and out it comes.

If he's using loctite might as well just put a little tack weld on the bolts for good measure - like a boilermaker killing nuts inside a steam drum.

Mark

LOL, yea i definately wouldnt use locktite either. When we did my bros a while back, NONE of the tricks worked for getting the old bearing out. Couldnt pull it with a puller, the socket trick wasnt working, so I just threaded other bolts into the back side of the hub/bearing and literally tapped them going equally through all 3 and wouldnt ya know it came out SOOOOO easy. If I would have thought of that a day before we could have finished it in a half hour instead of 2 evenings!

LOL, yea i definately wouldnt use locktite either. When we did my bros a while back, NONE of the tricks worked for getting the old bearing out. Couldnt pull it with a puller, the socket trick wasnt working, so I just threaded other bolts into the back side of the hub/bearing and literally tapped them going equally through all 3 and wouldnt ya know it came out SOOOOO easy. If I would have thought of that a day before we could have finished it in a half hour instead of 2 evenings!

It's either snap on or mac makes what look like impact sockets only they don't have any points, just round and about a 1/2" deep with a shaft on the end, enough to cover a bolt heads thickness, goes in an air chisel, back the bolts about half way, sztttttttttttt, ztttttttttt, ztttttttt and it falls out. Slicker than snot.

Yep, i have 3 hub bearing bolts in my tool box i carry as a removal tool. Remove the good ones and install these as tapping with a hammer can damage the 12pt heads.

Back