• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does it hurt tranny driving with no Torque converter lockup?

troy

NAXJA Forum User
My '98 AW4 is choosing not to lock up the Torque converter. By reading this forum, I've come up with a bad Torque converter or TCM. Engine light comes and indicates open circuit for torque converter.

Will I hurt my tranny driving without the lock up? I'm actually getting 1-2 mpg better in mixed driving. I really can't find the time to fix it for another couple months.

TIA

Troy

From what I understand, bad TCMs are fairly rare. AFAIK, you should not have any problems driving w/o torque converter, but you may suffer a penalty in gas mileage at cruising speeds. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

let us know what becomes of this, my 98 did the same thing i finally went to a tranny shop supposed to a reputable one they did all the police and fire dept in the area ,they said i needed a rebuilt but i had 290,000 on it so i dont know

My '98 AW4 is choosing not to lock up the Torque converter. By reading this forum, I've come up with a bad Torque converter or TCM. Engine light comes and indicates open circuit for torque converter.

Will I hurt my tranny driving without the lock up? I'm actually getting 1-2 mpg better in mixed driving. I really can't find the time to fix it for another couple months.

TIA

Troy

you should be fine. highway mpg may suffer a little, and the trans fluid will run a little bit warmer due to the slipping of the unlocked converter. i drove my beater cheby for over a year with the lock up solenoid unplugged because i didn't feel like pulling the valve body apart to fix it, never hurt anything. think of all those th400's, 350's, c4's, and c6's that went a couple hundred thou with no lock up and standard in-the-radiator trans coolers...

This also happened on my 98 on the way to Moab last week. I got the 700 and 740 codes, relating to the torque converter. It still drove fine, but on a couple of occasions, it wouldn't downshift on inclines.

And I guess the tranny fluid got a little hot a couple of times. Fluid would come out of the vent tube and spill onto the exhaust, creating a James Bond-type smoke screen.

All was fine on the return trip home though. So next on the to-do list is to install a tranny cooler.

843d549b.jpg

Since the TCM is throwing a code that says open-circuit, I would suggest actually measuring the solenoid resistance with a meter to see if its within spec. On the TCM connector for a 1998, pins 11,12, and 13 are the wires to the solenoid. I think 11 is the tc lockup solenoid. Unplug the connector and measure their resistance to ground. Should be 11-15 ohms I believe.

Back