• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank tuck. Let's see some pics.

supernatural

NAXJA Forum User
In the midst of my current build, i contemplated doing an "ass tuck". I've seen a few rigs with the gas tank raised into the rear cargo area, and i'm thinking of doing this. I'm looking for pictures, hints, suggestions, as well as your pro's & con's of doing this mod.

As far as hanging the tank, can't i just tighten those straps down even farther to hold the tank higher or are you guys building a flange to mount the tank to the floor? Thanks.

I was also thinking of building up the floor around the gas tank, so i have storage compartments (hinged & locking doors) to fill the gaps around the tank, but also have a nice flat spot to throw my camping gear. Anyone done something like this?

edit: crossposted on another webby, please ignore one if you see this thread again.

Last edited:
I'm doing the rear quarter tuck as well so i figure i might as well. From what i've seen, others haven't relocated the filler tube opening. They just routed the hoses higher, thru the inner rear interior plastic piece. Would this work? I really don't want to relocate the filler location if i don't have to.

the tank is already touching the underside of the floor so you cannot tighten the straps to pull it higher.

When I put mine in the cargo area I used an old factory skid to cradle the tank and build some brackets so I could run the straps over the top instead of the bottom to secure the tank down. Its worked good so far.

Here are a couple pics. I have better ones at home but not online.

1000292xv9.jpg

10004559ys.jpg

1000480fg8.jpg

the tank is already touching the underside of the floor so you cannot tighten the straps to pull it higher.

When I put mine in the cargo area I used an old factory skid to cradle the tank and build some brackets so I could run the straps over the top instead of the bottom to secure the tank down. Its worked good so far.

Here are a couple pics. I have better ones at home but not online.

1000292xv9.jpg

10004559ys.jpg

1000480fg8.jpg

lets see more pics of this rig!!

but if i cut the rear cargo to suck up the tank, don't the straps have enough length on them to pull the tank, say, 6" higher?

More then likely you would need to cut a length out of the center of the strap to shorten it enough to support a tank raised that much. It would be simple enough to cut in the center and overlap the two pieces and weld the cut ends back to the strap.

Originally I thought about cutting a hole in the floor and using the gas tank skid to support the tank like I do now but lowered half the tank height. Raising the tank fully was just simpler and I wasn't concerned about the loss of cargo space.

holy mad max!

ya i think i'm gonna cut and weld the straps. Then possibly for temporary i'll use ratchet straps or run to the junk yard and get some more xj straps for the top.

Still wondering if i can use my stock filler location with raising my tank 6". Thanks.

1. drop tank
2. cut hole
3. put tank in hole
4. bolt stock straps over top of tank through floor
5. cut hole for filler to say in stock location

it works great. if i can get my camera to work ill post pics.

1. drop tank
2. cut hole
3. put tank in hole
4. bolt stock straps over top of tank through floor
5. cut hole for filler to say in stock location

it works great. if i can get my camera to work ill post pics.

so just rest the tank on the lip of the hole, and strap it from the top?

Any disadvantages of having the plastic tank with this set up? Other than not being able to tack weld the tank lip to the hole lip.

Instead of welding it down to the floor why not use some 2" wide steel pieces or a sheet if you have one big enough. Cut out the size of the top half of the tank and leave enough hanging over the side to bolt through the floor to sandwich the lip around the middle of the tank between the two. That way you don't need the straps to hold it down.

Instead of welding it down to the floor why not use some 2" wide steel pieces or a sheet if you have one big enough. Cut out the size of the top half of the tank and leave enough hanging over the side to bolt through the floor to sandwich the lip around the middle of the tank between the two. That way you don't need the straps to hold it down.

and you'll have a fire barrier if something goes wrong.....

this is a great idea. Just what i'm going to do actually. I have some other things on my plate right now.

ie;

-Rear quarter tuck
-Herculine the interior
-fix window regulator in driver door
-replace heater core
-wire switch into aux fan
-vent tubes on front axle
-swap shafts & knuckles from my '00 dana 30 to my HP d30 (might just do the wj knuckle)

I'm sure there's more that i NEED to do before i do the others, but we'll see how it goes. My baby is due in a little over a week, so i think my time will get crunched for a little bit.

Back