• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission cooler line?

rufus_1111

NAXJA Forum User
so i replaced both transmission cooler lines. i got them from NAPA but the only thing with them is that they didnt come with the quick disconnects so i took them out of the old lines. now the problem is is that the QD that i put back in the line that attaches to the radiator was messed up from taking it out of the old line so now it leaks. i went to the dealer and they said that i have to buy the hole line from them to get the QD. i was thinking can i just cut off the end of the line and use a hose clamp to attach it to the part that comes out of the radiator?
thanks

Absolutely yes on the cut and clamp. My QD's are all off and replaced by a clamp. Less frustration, NO leaks. If the connection ever comes apart (it's been 3 years now) all I have to do is cut another inch off and cram it back on.

I agree with ParadiseXJ.

I just replaced a leaky line and did it with new transmission hose and 4 radiator-style clamps. I used two on each end the new hose, spaced roughly .5" apart.

Hey guys, Hitching on here.......I replaced all of my lines with hose and clamps and when I reinstalled my lines into the transmission with the QC, the lines started leaking at the QC. Is there just o-rings in the QC on the transmission end of the connection? These lines have probably never been taken out in 20 years. 88' XJ...

Any idea on how to eliminate the QC at the transmission if it involves more than an o-ring replace?

Thanks

If the o-rings are anything like the rad lines at the QD, the o-ring kit should consist of o ring-spacer-o ring.

I've never had mine off at the tranny but I'm all rubber from about the front 1/3 of the oil pan area forward.

So far no leaking around the tranny so I just trust that to...well, The Big Guy and Mopar.

:anon:

Yeah, so far I have all the connection to the radiator replace with hose and clamps...

Do any of you know if you can just pull the lines out at the transmission and then unbolt the connections (they look like they bolt right in) and access the o-rings???

I'll check with dealer tomorrow..

Actually I think the tranny lines at the tranny are QD's as well, pinch and pull. I may be wrong about that but that's how they look on my rig (like I said I haven't had to mess with them, YET)

the QD that i put back in the line that attaches to the radiator was messed up from taking it out of the old line so now it leaks.

Sorry for threadjacking but you know what i have this same exact problem.. i was replacing a rad though.. there was an oring in a little bag that came with the rad, didnt even realize until everything was all re-connected. is there supposed to be an oring in the QD? :dunno:

Hey guys, Hitching on here.......I replaced all of my lines with hose and clamps and when I reinstalled my lines into the transmission with the QC, the lines started leaking at the QC. Is there just o-rings in the QC on the transmission end of the connection? These lines have probably never been taken out in 20 years. 88' XJ...

Any idea on how to eliminate the QC at the transmission if it involves more than an o-ring replace?

Thanks

for the benifit of anyone searching later:

at the 08 fall fling i had to replace my trans (while in route i lost 2nd gear, third was nearly gone by the time i got into moab). one of the QDs on the trans side did not want to come off. the plastic portion broke inside the female portion on the trans. i went to advance auto and was able to get the QD assembly for about $10- the male plastic piece and the female piece that threads into the trans. replacement was as easy as removing a bolt.

Stewie,

Great news! Thanks for the info. I have the female end pulled from the transmission and will go visit the parts store tomorrow.

Thanks,
I'll let everyone know what I find.

If it's 3/8", look for Help!(Dorman) part numbers 800-013, and 800-016 - those are the O ring, and clips, respectively, for 5/16" and 3/8" lines. I had to scrounge these up when I was doing the fuel lines- I never did get a definitive answer, but I think the fuel lines are 5/16, and the tranny/A/C are 3/8"s? I stuck a tape on my tranny line at the radiator earlier, but don't hold me to the accuracy.

My radiator has started leaking around the tanks, so I'll probably be into the QD on that in the near future. Let us know what works.

<edit> Hmm, same fittings at the lower radiator connection, or different? I hate engineers.

for the benifit of anyone searching later:

at the 08 fall fling i had to replace my trans (while in route i lost 2nd gear, third was nearly gone by the time i got into moab). one of the QDs on the trans side did not want to come off. the plastic portion broke inside the female portion on the trans. i went to advance auto and was able to get the QD assembly for about $10- the male plastic piece and the female piece that threads into the trans. replacement was as easy as removing a bolt.

Got a manufacturer and part number? It's the sort of thing that we should have on file around here, methinks...

Actually I think the tranny lines at the tranny are QD's as well, pinch and pull. I may be wrong about that but that's how they look on my rig (like I said I haven't had to mess with them, YET)
That's correct - thankfully I haven't had to mess with that part in years, but the factory QD replacement is a male plastic plug with the o-rings on it - push it into the female end, and somehow or other leave the o-rings there. The hardline then pushes into place and locks there.

Another option is outlined in Stu's AW-4 install into his TJ: http://stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm on Pages 2 and 3.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Got a manufacturer and part number? It's the sort of thing that we should have on file around here, methinks...

It should definitely be filed somewhere. This is one of the reasons I started looking at forums, I couldn't find a parts store in my little burg that even knew what I was talking about with the rad side QD's. They kept telling me they were for fuel lines only (and only for Fords & Chevys) didn't have the size, blah, blah, blah....and they look at me like I'M the idiot.:dunno:

So, ding :idea:I decided to cut and clamp.

I've got a detailed post on my experiences trying to find a replacement for the quick disconnect. If you read the bottom of my post though, it seems that the OE quick disconnect has 2 extra tabs that keep it inside the nut that's on the transmission:

http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244104614&postcount=5

Last edited:
Back