• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Command Trac won't engage

Shane01638

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 Cherokee 4.0L with the AW4 and Command Trac Transfer case. I can't get either 4HI or 4LO to engage. The lever moves with much resistance (no light on dash), but only the rear tires spin. 4LO does affect the gearing for the rear tires, but the front still don't turn. I was testing it on some ice in my driveway. It sounds like it engages and can drive around in 4HI all day long with no problem, but it's still only in 2wd. What could cause the front axle not to engage? I'm assuming that's what the problem is since the rear changes in 4LO.

Thanks in Advance!

Check your front axle - it should have the "pumpkin" on the driver's side and a box on the passenger side. The box is a vacuum disconnect that is probably shot.

Not sure when the vacuume discos stopped being used, my last two have been 1997 and 2001 and neither of them have it.

Mark

It was that rubber vacuum line connector, someone tried to zip tie it down, but it was preventing one side to seal properly. I zip tied the other side so it all stays connected now. I went for a short test drive and everything works good until I floor it, which makes the light go out briefly, but comes back on. I saw some posts referring to a cable system, but that's about it. Is there another option besides this vacuum shift motor?

Back