• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

backspacing on 33's

bigred95

NAXJA Forum User
my xj has 5.5 inches of lift and im looking to fit some 33x12.5 swampers for the trails and i was just wondering what someone would reccomend for backspacing on the rims, and if anyone had some pics of how it would look. i just dont know what would be the best bet for my trail tires. And what kind of fender trimming would be needed. any help would be nice.

3.5" will give you a good but widder stance on the trail.

4" will save you ball jionts for awhile longer. Stock is 5.25" so 4" will give you a wider stance and get the 12.50s out away from stuff better.

what kind of swampers were you looking to get? the lug patterns on each of them are a real factor in determining bs. boggers have thinck side lugs that stick out a little farther than the inside of the tire. these are mine with a 2" bs AR rim. in the second pic the marks on the inner fender are from my old tires and a pressure washer. these don't rub at all on the LCA's, sway bar or inner fender
100_0482.jpg

100_0481.jpg

007-2.jpg

33" X 12.50 on 15" X 8" with 3.5" bs
they don't rub on anything, but swampers with more side lugs would be close. I plan to run some on the next set of tires and don't think I'll have any problems, but post back if you have probs-- maybe I'll change my plan.

nah, but I'm independently wealthy, and I love funding the oil company CEOs' children's educations. Actually, it's my D.D. but I only drive about six miles a day on "stop-n-go" roads and still see 14mpg. I'm willing to trade a couple mpg for some grip in the sand/ mud on the beaches. 4.10:1 is the gear of choice right now, but I did run 3.55:1 for a while---- what a slug that way!!!

that's a good lookin' toy you've got there, by the way:cheers:

yea but i have new tires right now. the boggers were wearing down fast and vibrating the shit outta everything inside. got new mt's now. not as good in mud :-( but o well. better mpg's and don't sick out as far so i don't get pulled over every other day now

I have 3.75 BS for my 33's on 4.5 inches of lift. They fit perfectly under my TJ flares. As far as cutting I trimmed just for the hell of it so I don't know the minimum trimming needed

I have 33x12.5 TSL's on my 98 XJ with 3.5" lift. I had to trim about 2.5" off of the front fenders and 1.5" off of the rear. I can flex fully to bumpstops without rubbing now. I have 3.5" BS on my 15x10 rims.

Here is mine, 33 12.50 R15 Interco Truxus, mounted on 4" of backspacing. Running the Clayton 6.5" long arm, and dont rub anywhere.

DSCN0546.jpg

DSCN0547.jpg

~James

Yeah, stock flares. I obviously cut the front of the fenders below the corner lamps, and also had to trim on the back side of the front tire as I had a little rub on just the plastic at full lock.

I got a set of new bridgestones for the street and im looking at some tsl's for trail tires,but i dont know if i want radial or bias yet though,because i have to take a little drive from my house to get to the trails so, i think im leaning towards radials, but it looks like the bias tsl's are a little more agrssive which probably makes them bad for the street,but a little better on the trails and a little cheaper too if im not mistaken. i think im going to go with 4" of backspacing on some tsl's when i figure which ones i want.

Last edited:
Back