• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for those with D44 Warn Premium Hubs

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished my HP44 in August, and at the time I reused the Superwinch manual locking hubs until I could get Warn. I could tell the Superwinches were kind of run down and needed to be replaced, so I finally did it.

The axle I have is from a '77 Ford F150, with flat top knuckles from a '74 Wagoneer, with the Ford 5x5.5 hubs. The Warn chart said I needed the 20990 hubs. The Superwinch hubs fit fine, but when I went to install the Warn Premium #20990, the flange was too thick for me to even see the snap ring grove on the stub shaft. I couldn't push it back into the hub anymore, I don't know why not? I tried just using the outer lock ring, and then the dial wouldn't even seal all the way into the hub.

Have you guys had any problems with these fitting before? I need to get the Superwinchs replaced soon as they are banging every time I switch from reverse to drive.

My set up is Jeep knuckles, spindles, caliper brackets, Ford Hubs and Rotors, I believe the spindle nuts were from the Ford, and the shafts are Moser.

I see, I was just thinking that as I was editing my post. They are from the ford.

I just finished my HP44 in August, and at the time I reused the Superwinch manual locking hubs until I could get Warn. I could tell the Superwinches were kind of run down and needed to be replaced, so I finally did it.

The axle I have is from a '77 Ford F150, with flat top knuckles from a '74 Wagoneer, with the Ford 5x5.5 hubs. The Warn chart said I needed the 20990 hubs. The Superwinch hubs fit fine, but when I went to install the Warn Premium #20990, the flange was too thick for me to even see the snap ring grove on the stub shaft. I couldn't push it back into the hub anymore, I don't know why not? I tried just using the outer lock ring, and then the dial wouldn't even seal all the way into the hub.

Have you guys had any problems with these fitting before? I need to get the Superwinchs replaced soon as they are banging every time I switch from reverse to drive.

My set up is Jeep knuckles, spindles, caliper brackets, Ford Hubs and Rotors, I believe the spindle nuts were from the Ford, and the shafts are Moser.

I'm running the same Warn Premium hubs 20990 on a Ford D44 out of an F250, with the stock axle nut, lockwasher and lock nut without any issues. Are you sure you have the hubs pushed all the way in? My Warns were a very tight fit compared to the stock ford locking hubs. It required a lot more effort to get them in.

I see, I was just thinking that as I was editing my post. They are from the ford.

Are you bottoming out on them or is it hanging up elsewhere? I've had them a little snug before, but never 'not fit'. I've got 78/79 F150/Bronco HP44 in mine, all Ford all the way out.

It seems like they are bottoming out. I can't be sure as I did it yesterday, and all I new was they wouldn't go in anymore. I also looked and they seem thicker than the superwinches that are in there now.

I don't have the Jeep spindle nuts with me as they are 70 miles away at home, and I now have my Jeep up in the school lot. I don't remember them being thinner, but I really can't say for sure, it was a while ago when I took them off.

It seems like they are bottoming out. I can't be sure as I did it yesterday, and all I new was they wouldn't go in anymore. I also looked and they seem thicker than the superwinches that are in there now.

If you can, measure the thickness of your spindle nuts. All I can think of is something got goofed up during a conversion. If it originally had a 3-hole auto hub on before, it needed spindle nuts converted. If you can measure your spindle nuts I'll measure the thickness on my spare set and we can compare notes. :)

I appreciate the offer, but I don't think I'll be able to measure them until next weekend, I don't have a lot of my tools or my spindle nut socket with me (they are still in the garage from using them during the build), and I have 2 tests this week for school, so I should probably be focusing on those.

I know the Ford came with the superwinches, and the Jeep didn't have manual lockouts, but was the solid flange. (the 3-hole auto hub you are reffering to?)

I have the same issue and have heard alot of guys on fullsizebronco with the same problem. I never finished figuring out what the problem was though. . .

The problem is that you can't see the snap ring groove on the axle shaft? Is the axle shaft pushed in too far? You may need to pull it outboard. -Jim C

The problem is that you can't see the snap ring groove on the axle shaft? Is the axle shaft pushed in too far? You may need to pull it outboard. -Jim C

No, the axle shaft is not pushed in too far. The fact is the body of the Warn hub seems thicker, which is why the snap ring grove is not visible. The shaft is where it is supposed to be, the hub just seems to be interfering with something so it won't go back anymore. I tried putting the warn hub in at the position it was at, and just using the outer lock ring to hold it in, but the dial wouldn't go all the way into the hub, and seal it up like it is supposed to.

WhitneyJ - What hubs are you running right now?

Alright, well I have the hub off right now and it looks like the Warn unit is thicker than the superwinch unit. It looks like it is hitting the actual spindle, rather than the spindle nut. I can just barely make out the snap ring grove.

Any one oppose cutting the spindle some to make up the difference?

I'm also running the warn premiums. the thickness is visibly thicker than the stock units, I installed mine as is, you can pull the hub out far enough to see the o-ring. I haven't driven the axle like it is now, just wanted to get it on to start the swap. It's almost like that's the way it was designed...

Well, I called Warn, and apparently there is a c-clip on the hub body, retaining some washers. I just need to remove those, and they should fit in. I'll have to check those out sometime as I left the hubs at home over the weekend.

Well, I called Warn, and apparently there is a c-clip on the hub body, retaining some washers. I just need to remove those, and they should fit in. I'll have to check those out sometime as I left the hubs at home over the weekend.
glad I saw this I will be setting up my 44 next weekend

Do you have your Warn hubs with you, do you see those washers the guy told me about? I don't have mine, but I just want to double check that they are there.

Do you have your Warn hubs with you, do you see those washers the guy told me about? I don't have mine, but I just want to double check that they are there.

mine are supposed to show up in the mail today.

Back