• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

different year, different axle, same gear ratio???

uber xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, first post here. Been looking to get into an XJ for a while now just haven't found the right one...yet. I'm looking at one right now, its a 99 w/ 120k, bone stock and in good condition. BUT it has a D35 in the rear. To replace it, my buddy offered up his Chryler 8.25 from his 93 XJ that he's no longer using. Both rigs are autos.

So, I'm wondering if his 93 axle will work in that 99, will those axles have the same gear ratio? Any help for a noob would be great!

Jeff

whats the motor on both?? if both re auto with a 4.0, then most likely they will work

Both SHOULD be 3.55, but vin decoding is the only way to really tell.

Keep in mind also that 99 has ABS (only reason you got a D35 that late) and the 8.25 will not be equipped for ABS.

Keep in mind also that 99 has ABS (only reason you got a D35 that late) and the 8.25 will not be equipped for ABS.
So reading the tag on the axle, or opening it up and checking the ring gear for tooth count/markings won't work? The VIN itself won't tell you, but using it to get a build sheet from the Jeep dealer is a crapshoot, at best. The older the Cherokee, the more likely it is that you'll find the build sheet is wrong.

If both Cherokees were 4.0L and had automatic transmissions, you're almost certain to have 3.55 in both axles. You will have the ABS issue to deal with though, and no, the D35 ABS is not a plug-n-play onto the C8.25 (thankfully).

His C8.25 is going to be the 27-spline version, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just not as desireable as the 29-spline would be, and not as widely supported as the latter. I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker though.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Last edited:
So reading the tag on the axle, or opening it up and checking the ring gear for tooth count/markings won't work? The VIN itself won't tell you, but using it to get a build sheet from the Jeep dealer is a crapshoot, at best. The older the Cherokee, the more likely it is that you'll find the build sheet is wrong.

If both Cherokees were 4.0L and had automatic transmissions, you're almost certain to have 3.55 in both axles. You will have the ABS issue to deal with though, and no, the D35 ABS is not a plug-n-play onto the C8.25 (thankfully).

His C8.25 is going to be the 27-spline version, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just not as desireable as the 29-spline would be, and not as widely supported as the latter. I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker though.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Ya, its a solid enough Jeep to make due with the D35 and look for a replacement. I'm not too worried about the 27 spline 8.25 because I don't plan on going big for a while, probably going to be starting small with something like a 3.5" lift 31's and lockers in atleast the front.

But about the ABS, is this going to be a big hassle? Can you point me into the right direction on how to learn about this swap or provide any input?

I think the easiest answer is to pull the fuse and do without ABS. Given the limitations of the D35, if adding ABS to the C8.25 was relatively easy, the D35 would have probably died on the vine much earlier.

It will, however not everyone wants to open up the diff. The tag works assuming its still there.

I think the easiest answer is to pull the fuse and do without ABS. Given the limitations of the D35, if adding ABS to the C8.25 was relatively easy, the D35 would have probably died on the vine much earlier.

ya, i'm not really opposed to this idea...seems like it would make the swap a lot easier. besides, this is mainly going to be a wheeling rig, might do a little towing down the road and a few trips to the mountain for snowboarding but other than that, not much road use. is there any point of having ABS on the trail anyways?

thanks for all the help guys...:D

I have owned several 99+ jeeps with the D35 rear without ABS.

In fact I have only had one D35 jeep with ABS.

Just because it has a D35 doesn't mean it has abs

Back