• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241OR tranny in a ´90 Renix XJ

BlueGerbil

NAXJA Forum User
I´ve bought a 241OR tranny out of a 2007 JK Rubicon for quite a good price.

Now that I´ve finished staring at it with a beer in my hand I´d like to put it in my trail rig, that´s a 1990 Cherokee. It has a 21spline AW4 transmission, so I have to swap it for a 1991-or-later AW4 w/ 23splines. Any comments on this, so far? Any years to avoid?

But what to do with the speedometer? AFAIK the old 242 has a mechanical speedo gear, whereas the 241OR has a electronic one. How do you guys have solved this?

Running a vehicle without a working speedometer isn´t road legal over here, so I have to find a solution for that.

All input is appreciated!

I'm not sure that case will work as its from a JK not a TJ

It should work, the bolt patterns are the same, As it's the same trans(TJ-JK). you will need the 91+ AW4, but you already know that. It should still have 32 splinreoutputs on the t-case, Call JE real and get some 1310 conversion yokes for it, and run your drive shafts. I Have the 241OR in my 2000, it however came out of a TJ. I'm running 1310 yokes and factory driveshafts.

Justinr

If the speedo housing is the same you can just swap them. If that doesn't work you'll need to upgrade your dash to '91+.

the speedo housing is not the same, this one use a digital pick up. It will work with a newer cluster, but it doesn't use a speedo housing like a 231 or 242.

Back