• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which is stronger?

8.8 has c-clips!
both would require new spring perches, but the 8.8 is available w/ disk brakes + 4.10's if found at the right time, and are much more common, however narrower.

im impartial to the 44, 2 of the jeeps in my flock run them. but that being said if i had to build a new rear axle i would probably stick with 44's for spare-interchangability.
however both are strong, just depends which one you can find cheaper

C-clips arent a big deal when you dont break shafts. lol

I had an 8.8 in my other jeep with 4.88's and an ARB on 35's. I wouldnt have hesistated to put 36's on it even 37's the way I was. I wasnt heavy on the throttle so it isnt a problem but I have seen a lot of people put 36's locked on a stock 8.8. They are just beefy. And you only lose 1.5" in total so thats not much of a problem if you buy spacers. Personally I never did, I didnt care.

Yeah I know all that bc my buddy has a 8.8 in his yj that we pulled from a exploder with 4.10s n dicks n LSD. And i just put a dana 44 in the rear of my xj. we were just wondering which one was stronger.

Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500

not sure how correct this is but I remember finding it a few years back on the interweb.

8.8 hands down. and if you get the one with disk breaks, it has 31 spline shafts. And C clips have nothing to do with strength, and if you get an 8.8 with disks, even if you break a shaft the calipers will hold the axle in.

even if you break a shaft the calipers will hold the axle in.

Yes because two bolts that are torqued to about 20 ft-lbs can hold an axle in...

Maybe for a couple feet but I wouldn't drive anywhere on it. Any sort of pressure will snap those things like twigs.

Anyone have any real-world experience with this claim people tend to make? I can't imagine it being valid.

Yes because two bolts that are torqued to about 20 ft-lbs can hold an axle in...

Maybe for a couple feet but I wouldn't drive anywhere on it. Any sort of pressure will snap those things like twigs.

Anyone have any real-world experience with this claim people tend to make? I can't imagine it being valid.

they will hold long enough to get off the trail, or to an easy spot on the trail to change the shaft. never said you should drive home with it like that. Buddy of mine limped his jeep like that a couple of miles where we could safely change out the shaft. Was there when he did it so i know it can be done. C clips are not as evil as everyone claims them to be.

they will hold long enough to get off the trail, or to an easy spot on the trail to change the shaft. never said you should drive home with it like that. Buddy of mine limped his jeep like that a couple of miles where we could safely change out the shaft. Was there when he did it so i know it can be done. C clips are not as evil as everyone claims them to be.

Oh ok gotcha, I just didn't want anyone thinking they could drive home like this.

I don't think c-clips are evil, but I AM partial to my D44 :D

Oh ok gotcha, I just didn't want anyone thinking they could drive home like this.

I don't think c-clips are evil, but I AM partial to my D44 :D

yeah i probly should have specified that in my first post.

stock for stock the 44 wins

the 8.8 has a weak carrier, spinning tubes and c-clip

built for built the 8.8 wins

super 8.8 kit with welded tubes vs super 44 (33 or 35 spline, doesn't matter because you won't break them anyway you will just break gears now)

and the arsonist21 wheels like an unborn fetus, he could get away with 42's on a dana35

Back