• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan will not come off!

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I disconnected the shocks and sway bar, and the axle is sagging probably 6 inches lower that it would be if it were free hanging, and I still cannot get the pan out. The only thing I can think of that might help is if I pulled the down pipe out, and I could twist the pan a little more and get it out. I've been trying to avoid that because the studs on the manifold look hella rusted.. Anyone have any recommendations on what the next step is that i should take?

I just took a look at my manual and they recommond removing the bell housing dust cover, that may give me the extra clearance that I need.

I've never had to do this. If you have the axle drooped and the starter is removed, they have plenty of clearance. The down pipe has never been in my way. Just drop the rear of the pan and then slide it right out:dunno:

The pan is hitting the dust cover on the tranny. I can't get the rear of the pan to come down enough to go under the tranny. I still have the oil pump and pick up installed, but they don't really seem to be interfearing. I'll go ahead and remove them I guess.

When the Cherokee is raised and the axle hanging low, the axle swings and blocks the pan. Raising the axle will move it forward a little and clear the pan.

When the Cherokee is raised and the axle hanging low, the axle swings and blocks the pan. Raising the axle will move it forward a little and clear the pan.

Exactly what I was thinking. The axle moves rearward as it comes down pinning the pan.. I did put a jack under the axle and jacked it up but I didn't spend as much time tugging at it with it in this position.

I've not had to drop the front axle - even on stockers.

I do find it helpful to both remove the inspection cover (sheetmetal bit bottom front of the bellhousing) and to unbolt the transmission mount from the crossmember - that allows you to jack up the transmission about an inch and a half or so, and usually gives you the clearance you need to get around the bellhosuing and the oil pump pickup (no, I haven't had to pull the oil pump to pull the pan, either.)

It's a wiggly job, but it should be doable. With a 3" lift, I didn't even need to jack up the front end to droop the axle.

I had a similar problem with my 93. I finally put a bottle jack on the axle and jacked the axle downward a few inches, and the pan came right out.

i found it was easiest to lift the motor a few inches of its mount. 4 bolts total and a second pair of hands and that puppy will slide right out. Put a 1x4 under the harmonic balancer/crank pulley and lift it from there... be careful because the jack will want to slide back. Make sure you watch where you put your hands as I don't want to be responsible for you losing a finger.

All you have to do when you put the engine back on the mounts is shake the engine from side to side to line it up. If that doesn't work lift the motor back up and use a pry/screwdriver to force the bolts to line back up in there holes then lower the motor back to its resting spot.

if you droop then axle and maybe disconnect the front shocks it should come out with some wiggling, even at stock height

I had to disconnect the shocks, the sway bar, the drag link and someone stood on the wheel while I wiggled it out. It was tough.

That is exactly what I ended up having to do ( I already had the steering box out anyways). I also have to remove the oil pump/pickup. Hopefully next time I have to drop the pan I will be lifted..

On a side note.

Everyone always says "buy the '95 1 piece gasket" When you go to the parts store.. they already offer a fel pro 1 piece molded seal, even for my '87. It's the kind that seems to be half rubber/half plastic. I went ahead and RTV'd both sides for good measure. No leaks so far.

I undid the shocks, the stabilizer bar at the frame (not at the links) and the track bar.... comes right out..... it is easy to get the oil pump pickup stuck on the baffle inside the pan too..... that will make it hang up.....

Just got done doing that on my 87 mj the bolts are 1/4-20 for sure and the 4 bigger ones are 5/16-18. not 100% on 5/16. I got my out doing what you did but could not get it back in. had to pull motor mount bolt on driver side and jack up the motor about 2'' went right in.

Back