• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle/spider gear question

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
ok so, in my hp dana 30 i think my spider gears are missing teeth and stuff. so i was wondering, say i open up the diff, and take out the 2 spiders that arent attached to the axle shafts....what would happen? my knowledge tells me i would still be able to drive it fine, but it would act as a completely open diff even in 4wd, am i correct?

opinion?
personal experiences??
help???

bump!
i need an answer ASAP

dont know but I would think at the very least you would loose strength and damage the remaining gears. if you are missing teeth on gears it would be very loud and the metal is 90% likely to find its way into something important and destroy the rear.

If you want to pull them and see what happens go for it and let us know.

dont know but I would think at the very least you would loose strength and damage the remaining gears. if you are missing teeth on gears it would be very loud and the metal is 90% likely to find its way into something important and destroy the rear.

If you want to pull them and see what happens go for it and let us know.

guess ima try it and find out....also i plan to remove the peices of metal...

ok so, in my hp dana 30 i think my spider gears are missing teeth and stuff. so i was wondering, say i open up the diff, and take out the 2 spiders that arent attached to the axle shafts....what would happen? my knowledge tells me i would still be able to drive it fine, but it would act as a completely open diff even in 4wd, am i correct?

opinion?
personal experiences??
help???

Never done anything like that but, I don't see a problem. As long as the axle shafts and bearings hold each other in place, and they will, it will be a a non differential axle. In 2WD mode, or 4WD PT mode,no problem.

what do you mean, non differential axle in 4wd pt mode? as in....if i engage 4wd, the front axle will not engage? and i will just be in like 2 low?

When you take out the spider gears you loose the connection from the diff to the shafts. At this point you don't really have a diff anymore, the shafts are disconnected and free.
If you use 2WD (preferred), all the power goes to the rear axle. If you use 4WD PT the front and rear drive shafts are locked and you are still able to move. If your transfer case is a 242J and you use 4WD FT the diff inside the transfer case will try to power the front almost exclusively, which means you are going nowhere and possibly over speeding the transfer case.

ohh alright, well i beleive i have a 231 tcase, so i should be alright....right?

ohh alright, well i beleive i have a 231 tcase, so i should be alright....right?

Put it in 2WD and you will be OK, I don't see any problem. Remember one thing while you do things with the front axle. The way it is designed, you must have the axle shafts installed to move it, otherwise the front unit bearings can fall apart.

Put it in 2WD and you will be OK, I don't see any problem. Remember one thing while you do things with the front axle. The way it is designed, you must have the axle shafts installed to move it, otherwise the front unit bearings can fall apart.

i have the shafts installed, all im going to do is remove the spider gears that arent attached to the axle shafts...and thats only IF when i open it today, the spiders are all chewed up. if they are fine then the cover is goin back on and i continue my search for noises im getting in my front end

i have the shafts installed, all im going to do is remove the spider gears that arent attached to the axle shafts...and thats only IF when i open it today, the spiders are all chewed up. if they are fine then the cover is goin back on and i continue my search for noises im getting in my front end

Good luck.

thanx and thank you for your help man, ill be back and tell you how it went

well, just removed the front cover and to my surprise........ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL was wrong with in. in fact it still looks brand new inside their.
good news is my axle isnt F'ed
bad news is, i still dont know whats making the noise

pull the front driveshaft and see if the noise goes away, could be those u-joints, or the axleshaft u-joints at the steering knuckles

ok so i just checked the DS u joints and their good, also from what i can see, the axle shaft u joints look good too....to be a little more specific and to give u experts a little more info.....the noise im having is a tapping sound coming from the driver side of either the engine bay or under carriage. its not just a tapping sound...i can feel it. ive looked and looked but i cant find anything loose under their =[

idling their is no noise...how ever once i put it in gear (auto trans) either forward or reverse, it starts to knock/tap. it sync's with something. as i give it more throttle it beats faster...however, the more throttle, the faster the tires turn spin and alos the faster the ds spins so it could be any of those. also, if im in gear but stop it doesnt do it

Back