• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve covers and Auto Zone

Wallymander

NAXJA Forum User
I just returned from the Zone and DANG!!!! I was looking for a valve cover gasket for the 87 Comanche (4.0). these have cost 4-5 bucks in the past and it did today also.
The counter guy plugged in 1997 accidentally, and i learned the same gasket for the 1997 is 40.00. OUCH.... YEAH RENIX!!
They have another for the renix that is 40 bucks also, that one was the reusable rubber heavy duty one. I have never gone through enough gaskets to resort to spending 40.00 on that particular gasket.
Then i took my 4.50 valve cover gasket along with an air ratchet(35.00) and headed home. Just wanted to share my little experience.

yea, the 1997 gasket does not leak. I paid the 40 for the VC on my 1991 block stroker, I prefer it. Doesnt leak a drop, doesent need sealer.

to each his own

yea, the 1997 gasket does not leak. I paid the 40 for the VC on my 1991 block stroker, I prefer it. Doesnt leak a drop, doesent need sealer.

to each his own

If i was making a hellified trail rig or something that may be sideways at some point, or a modified engine, i would get it. But this is my MJ long bed, 4WD is mainly there because it snows here and i like to live "off the paved road" haha.

I spent about 40 for my rubber valve cover gasket from the dealer, I dont like leaks so I spend money lol.

Plus, the old gasket I removed was factory original so I figured if it lasted that long...

I run the rubber/metal gasket on my RENIX, no more leaks! Cork sucks! I'll pay the extra coin for reliability.

that sounds like the head gasket, is that what you are talking about?
I didnt see a metal valve cover gasket.

I havent spent more on the valve cover gasket because the cork/ sealant works a long time when done right..

the 40.00 gasket is rubber but the skeleton is made of metal, that's where the rubber gets its rigidity.

x2 on everyone else who uses the rubber ones, its better then the cork, and easier to install. its also reusable cause it doesnt decompose like the cork ones do
if money is everything, why use one at all? you could just use rtv or form a gasket,
OR YOU could buy cork in bulk and make your own!
i'll take the easiest to install.

Back