• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OH CRAP, now what?

xj_dummy

NAXJA Forum User
I went to take out the old temp sender and this happened,
100_0650.jpg

100_0654.jpg

Damn thing broke off flush with the head. What do I do Now?
Is there anywhere that I can temporarily add a temperature unit till I get this fixed?

At least it dosent apear that it leaks. The oil is leaking from the valve cover gasket.

Easy out time! Should be REAL fun. If you can find one, get a "left hand" drill bit when you drill it out to fit the extractor(ask at a real hardware store-not Home depot/Lows). The drill bit turns backwards and about 1/2 the time it'll back the broken stub out while you're drilling.

Not sure about a temporary temp sender.

Whatever you do to get that out will cause shavings to go into your motor. You'd probably be better off taking the head off and drilling and tapping the hole again or easy-out it outside of the Jeep. Shavings in your motor are a very bad thing.

Last edited:
Oh,please,its the water jacket!!!

Oh,please,its the water jacket!!!

Agreed. The worst it will do in the coolant is get in the bearings for the water pump(wouldn't put money on that) and MAYBE get jammed in the T-stat. If your paranoid, take the hoses off and do a flush.

"Left handed drill bit" would do the trick, and they make something that goes into a tap handle, its basically a triangular blade. I'm pretty sure it works by tapping it in, then turning it while pushing down. its made to get sheared machine screws out of metal. We have a few in the machine shop at school. Easy-outs work great.

There is an extractor that could be used to remove the remaining piece. It woulld not require drilling. I uses the fluted ones instead of the square ones (although it may woork for you). The fluted ones has about 8 or ten flutes. The correct size would require hammering into the remaining brass fitting and then using a wrench or socket to un-screw it. Check one of the better automotive stores, tool supplies or Sears and ask for a 'stud extractor'. I am in the islands so I cannot tell you the exact size but I think it is about 5/16" :dunno:
Hope this helps.

Sears makes a extractor set that look kinda crappy, a coworker had some and they worked better than expected. DO NOT drill, use an extractor, some good penetrating spray, and be gentle, go slow, love your jeep. If you must use a left handed bit be real careful, and go slow. I repeat slow on purpose, take your time, and it will come out, if ya start rushing, take a brake.

do as stated above, go get a drill bit and an extractor set, and it should come out pretty easy. its brass so it should drill pretty easily, and i wouldnt worry about shavings too much. the biggest pain in the ass will be getting to it because of where it is.

good luck.

I prefer the left handed drill bits, the easyouts break too dam easy, then you are stuck with drilling THAT out and that takes forever. I broke a big one removing a YJ bumper bolt, thank god it was a top one, at least I could sit on the bumper for the 45 minutes it took to drill.
I have a nice set of snap on leftys, 1/8, 3/16, 5/16 and 11/32 bits.
For temporary get a 97+ thermostat housing and put that on then stick the sender in that the way the newer XJ's are.

Well i snapped the easyout off in the head, and I went snail slowwwwwwwwww.
I have heard that the 4.0 HO water outlet has a theremo switch in it and it will fit the 2.5L. Ill try that for now. I dont feel like removing the head for that only.

it's a hole, a bung hole. I got reprimanded at work for repeating that on the radio while looking for a bung wrench to get the plug outta another workers bung hole. :gee:

Yea, I've had that happen when I asked who used the dikes last and where did you leave them. Also known as diags...

now can I use a pair of dikes on some one's bung hole? They will probably be oily, dirty, dirty dikes. I see the reprimand coming, see if I can fit that all on the radio, especially the reprimand coming, I will be king!:guitar:

Back