• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why not to use Chinese wheel bearings

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
2929724055_8e5f41f0ca_b.jpg

From now on my wheel bearings are USA all the way. :us:

must have made an interesting sound before you got it apart.
Timkin, Moog

It didn't make any noise which I guess is a tribute to the 70w140 synthetic gear lube I run. The only hint that something was amiss was all the oil oozing out. New bearing is a Timkin. Out of the box I can tell it's way beefier than old one, larger rollers, stronger casing, and made in the USA.

All the rollers in the old bearing were similarly galled, but only on one side. Needless to say it looked like someone dumped a jar of glitter in my gear lube.

This was in a Ford 8.8 BTW.

Thats what happens when kids are forced to build things.

It looks and sounds like it was an "axle saver" bearing. On that picture, it looks like there was a contact patch from another bearing about a 1/4in to the left.

The deep groove is from a normal bearing. When I got the Jeep it came with a "repair bearing" like you described, that leaked oil, and created the wear you see to the left of the groove. I replaced it with another repair bearing that also leaked oil. So I replaced it with the Chinese bearing that seized up, destroyed my axle shaft, and leaked oil. God I'm sick of replacing wheel bearings.

Back